Questions about 30g long

blackwing013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I made a first post but can't find it so making it again.
After owning freshwater all my life, I finally got my first saltwater, a 30g long from Facebook marketplace, and have some questions

1. I got some dry rock with the tank from the guy I bought it from. It has a dark red hue. Is this something to be worried about or just coloration
2. I just added saltwater today and got some bio-spira to go with it but don't have a test kit yet. How long should I wait to be confident in adding fish?
3. What fish could I add? Preferably more than 3 and not something typical like a clown or goby but not too expensive or hard to take care of

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
many of the artificial rocks are painted to resemble the coraline algae growth of a mature tank...usually more of a purple than red...perhaps google some images to see if you can find something that matches...be wary...there's usually a good reason the last guy gave up

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look into nitrogen cycle and how to tell when its done, if it isnt you will harm/kill your fish

i have 4 fish in my 30 long now

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I buy used rocks I always feel its safest to put them a bucket of bleach water for a day or two, then a bucket of rodi water for another day, just to be sure.

Saltwater is nothing like freshwater, take your time and do your homework. Add fish slowly, one at a time a few weeks apart, and only after the cycle is complete.

OP
OP
B

blackwing013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I buy used rocks I always feel its safest to put them a bucket of bleach water for a day or two, then a bucket of rodi water for another day, just to be sure.

Saltwater is nothing like freshwater, take your time and do your homework. Add fish slowly, one at a time a few weeks apart, and only after the cycle is complete.
Is it bad if I already put them in my tank? I just put them in about 6 hours ago so I don't know if they could have already done damage or not or if it is ok to take them out.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back