Questions about adding coral and anemone

cvanchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everybody, hope you’re having a great start of your day. So my question for today is, I want to add coral and possibly BTE. Since I have about 5 to 6 months of waiting to do I think now is a perfect time to start reading up and learning more and more about the hobby and what to do when I’m ready to add these. What would be your recommendations on reading material, or online articles ? Dosing what goes good together how to maintain. Things like that. I want to be ready when it is time to add the beautiful sea life to my tank.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble Tip Enema?

I added a Bubble-Tip WAY before anyone would recommend, and I added a very large, and healthy one, and he has done amazing...... I check levels and obsessively too, so that helps (and have local shop check too)

I got a book from Amazon that was recommended to me by my local shop "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist"

https://www.amazon.com/Conscientiou...rine+aquarist&qid=1552403167&s=gateway&sr=8-2

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say you need to wait 6 months to add corals. There are plenty of easy to care for softies, zoas, even LPS and SPS that you can add after a couple months. I would actually suggest adding some, then managing to care for them, before adding a BTA. Mainly the suggestions for waiting 6 mo for BTAs are two fold. First to allow the tank to stabilize, but secondly to allow the new reef keeper time to gain experience keeping said tank stable. Adding corals, and learning to test, perform routine water changes, etc. will help you learn and advance. Keeping just rock and fish won't push you to do the extra leg work corals will.

As for reading material, there is plenty just here on the forums.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back