Questions about additives

Ryan Kindle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some questions about few things ive read on here. Amd want to make sure im buying the correct stuff and not missing anything.
The items are
Calcium
Mag
Alk
Kalk
Iodine
Polyp Booster
ONE (polyplab)
Potassium
I may have missed a few. I know Calc, Alk, Mag and iodine are needed. Are the others. Why? How often do yall normally check levels, and any preferred brand ?
I do want to add I do already check Ph, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Year 4 on my tank starting with kalk down I've never used or tested for any of those.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine is often not needed to be dosed. Potassium depends on the tank (mime uses a decent amount probably due to my refugium). Kalk may not be needed either.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing polyp lab one separately from the rest of is that your method for calcium, alk, and mag?

OP
OP
R

Ryan Kindle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not dosing anything yet. But know I may need to soon. Trying to find out any info.on what others use. And what some these are exactly or are some like all in ones?

OP
OP
R

Ryan Kindle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75g tank, and a canister filter. Not sure if that makes a big difference.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not dosing anything yet. But know I may need to soon. Trying to find out any info.on what others use. And what some these are exactly or are some like all in ones?

Polyp lab one is a combination of those 3. Kalk is calcium and alk but can only be dosed so much as it raises pH and is often used for that purpose.

What you dose depends on what the tank is consuming. I use powdered all for reef, but I also don't do water changes.

OP
OP
R

Ryan Kindle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. I was doing reading and was getting lost and confused. I assume to just watch parameters and work from that as best fits my tank?

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am nearing 1 year of my first reef tank. In my system, I dose microbacter7 about once a week. I just recently started using BRS 2part and dose the calcium chloride and soda ash daily. I do not yet need the magnesium part.
The biggest improvement I’ve made is feeding the Red Sea AB+ coral food! And maintaining my alkalinity. The ab+ has brought life back to several corals that were living but not thriving. I have seen big growth and colors since starting about 1-2 months ago.

Attachments

• 1E882B84-7BA3-48F4-AB34-F2C2F54C44F4.jpeg
    1E882B84-7BA3-48F4-AB34-F2C2F54C44F4.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
R

Ryan Kindle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am nearing 1 year of my first reef tank. In my system, I dose microbacter7 about once a week. I just recently started using BRS 2part and dose the calcium chloride and soda ash daily. I do not yet need the magnesium part.
The biggest improvement I’ve made is feeding the Red Sea AB+ coral food! And maintaining my alkalinity. The ab+ has brought life back to several corals that were living but not thriving. I have seen big growth and colors since starting about 1-2 months ago.
Love your tank. Thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watch your parameters. Once you start noticing water changes aren't doing it for you, you will know what needs to be done. Alkalinity, calcium and magnesium will be the big 3 to watch. Other than that just keep nitrate and phosphate at an acceptable level.

corey904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some questions about few things ive read on here. Amd want to make sure im buying the correct stuff and not missing anything.
The items are
Calcium
Mag
Alk
Kalk
Iodine
Polyp Booster
ONE (polyplab)
Potassium
I may have missed a few. I know Calc, Alk, Mag and iodine are needed. Are the others. Why? How often do yall normally check levels, and any preferred brand ?
I do want to add I do already check Ph, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites
It really depends on how big your system is
I can understand if you have a 200+ gal with all sps but you probably don’t need kalk if ur using 2 part
I don’t dose iodine
Or potassium
Just water changes but I only have a few sps
Red Sea and brs are my personal go to brs>Red Sea
I try to test weakly

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would not assume you need potassium. I never needed to dose any, and there's no inherent reason to think one should, but sometimes consumption outstrips additions by foods.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 43 46.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back