Questions about building my own tank

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain what that is...
Im sorry if that’s something I should know.
All the glass is attached to the side of the bottom.
Thus the base "floats" on the 4 sides.
All the weight is carried by the 4 side piece edges..
You could technically make a frame with a hole in the center

With putting glass on top of the base the flatness of the stand is more critical.

I've never seen a particular pro or con that favors style over the other.

Except in Britain most tanks are floating bottoms if not rimmed.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the glass is attached to the side of the bottom.
Thus the base "floats" on the 4 sides.
All the weight is carried by the 4 side piece edges..
You could technically make a frame with a hole in the center

With putting glass on top of the base the flatness of the stand is more critical.

I've never seen a particular pro or con that favors style over the other.

Except in Britain most tanks are floating bottoms if not rimmed.
Ahhhh okay. Yeah I can do that. I’ll just have to make sure I’m working on a level surface.
Basically the same measurements just add 1/2” to the height right?
And sandwiching the sides with front back is fine to go with or is sandwiching the front and back with the sides more structurally sound?

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhh okay. Yeah I can do that. I’ll just have to make sure I’m working on a level surface.
Basically the same measurements just add 1/2” to the height right?
And sandwiching the sides with front back is fine to go with or is sandwiching the front and back with the sides more structurally sound?
I'm thinking its more an aesthetic look that matters for that, id personally sandwich the sides between front and back and from an engineering standpoint would have more uniform pressure but itll be a miniscule difference at that size, and if you're going for the 30x30 foot print why not just do the 30x30x24 and have a 90g cube and use the 29g as a frag tank?

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking its more an aesthetic look that matters for that, id personally sandwich the sides between front and back and from an engineering standpoint would have more uniform pressure but itll be a miniscule difference at that size, and if you're going for the 30x30 foot print why not just do the 30x30x24 and have a 90g cube and use the 29g as a frag tank?
Okay I’ll go with that then. And this frag tank thing I’m going with is more of a fun experiment. I’m still a teen so I don’t make a lot and making a new DT is expensive... at least for me because I like real live rock and all that fancy stuff. Once I graduate in a couple months I’ll be getting a better full time job and the frag tank Im building will become its own system and my 29gal DT will be upgraded to a 125 if I can get out of my parents house lol. If I’m going bigger I want more length for a nicer selection of fish. My thought process might be flawed but my brain works weird and once I’m set on something it’s hard for me to go a different route. It’s bit me in the *** before that’s for sure lol. Also the house is over a hundred years old and my tanks are on the second floor so that’s always something that worries me as I get bigger and bigger systems

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just please don't use the aqueon brand of silicone he uses . Stick with rtv, scs maybe asi as a last resort.
I was planning on going with rtv. When I was installing sump baffles I heard a lot about it but just used GE since it didn’t need to hold up to much pressure. Where did you buy rtv from?

AJTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on going with rtv. When I was installing sump baffles I heard a lot about it but just used GE since it didn’t need to hold up to much pressure. Where did you buy rtv from?
I used scs and got it from rshughes with local pickup near me (saved shipping) for about 12$. Rtv is difficult to get near me. I did find a supplier in IL for a good price+shipping was decent. Forgot the name. Will post if I remember

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used scs and got it from rshughes with local pickup near me (saved shipping) for about 12$. Rtv is difficult to get near me. I did find a supplier in IL for a good price+shipping was decent. Forgot the name. Will post if I remember
Yeah that’s why I asked. Very hard to find it from a website that doesn’t look scammy. Even harder to find it in the tube where I can use a caulk gun. I’ll check out scs see if I can find it around me

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to go to bed... Not able to think straight...I used rtv from rshughes. Scs was hard to come by near me....zzz

Thank you good sir, I’ll check it out and see how much shipping is since I don’t think there’s a store called that near me. It’s past time for me to go to bed, gotta be up for “zoom class” tomorrow morning (biggest joke of this school year)

Do you think black will look good with a rimless tank?

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the house is over a hundred years old and my tanks are on the second floor so that’s always something that worries me as I get bigger and bigger systems
i totally get the worry! i put my 180g with 75 sump on my 80 yo lifted floor, whole house had to be braced before water cause just with the tank and stand you could feel every step bounce the floors
+-5

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i totally get the worry! i put my 180g with 75 sump on my 80 yo lifted floor, whole house had to be braced before water cause just with the tank and stand you could feel every step bounce the floors
+-5
Thats crazy. Hopefully I dont have to end up bracing the house. Sounds expensive lol. I’m on a hold right now just waiting for the glass and I’ve been very busy between my two businesses, work and school o_O

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back