Questions on Formalin and Velvet

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

I have 2 fish purchased at a LFS and the rest from @Dr. Reef. I plan on doing another large order from Dr Reef here once my 180g aquarium get up and running. I have never and dont plan on quarantining my corals or inverts. I know there is a chance of getting Ich from that but I feel I am capable to keep the fish happy enough to not succumb to it if it shows up. I have used Safety Stop on the 2 lfs fish as the only thing I am concerned about getting is velvet.

How effective is safety stop on killing velvet in that dose/45 mins?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really see where a 45 minute dip will ever be effective as compared to a proper QT tank that typically runs 2 weeks to 4 weeks under different medications to prevent disease.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dip will not be effective against an active ich or velvet infection due to how the life cycle of the parasites work.
We recommend copper (Copper Safe or Copper Power at 2.25 - 2.50 ppm) for 30 days quarantine for Ich or velvet. Formalin is best used for brooklynella which typically targets clownfish.

The link below will take you to the full protocol we recommend.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

I have 2 fish purchased at a LFS and the rest from @Dr. Reef. I plan on doing another large order from Dr Reef here once my 180g aquarium get up and running. I have never and dont plan on quarantining my corals or inverts. I know there is a chance of getting Ich from that but I feel I am capable to keep the fish happy enough to not succumb to it if it shows up. I have used Safety Stop on the 2 lfs fish as the only thing I am concerned about getting is velvet.

Formalin not the best choice and not as effective as copper power or copper safe
If a quarantined fish, treat for 14-21 days up to 30 days while monitoring both copper level and ammonia level

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Ask Dr. Reef about what he thinks of giving a formalin dip on newly shipped fish. years ago, I thought that might be a good idea, so I had my staff start doing that on incoming fish, and the mortality rate was horrendous, we stopped right away.

The problem with all dips is that they are not 100% effective, so one dip and into the DT is not a good idea. Velvet has been shown to be controlled by three 150 ppm peroxide dips daily, moving the fish to a sterile tank each time.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back