Quick Kalk Question

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a PH probe in my Kalk reservoir. If the PH in the kalk is decreasing does that mean the potency of the alkalinity in the kalk is decreasing as well? It hasn’t gone down much, just from 12.5ish to 12.39. To be honest I am hoping that the answer is yes. As I need the PH boost way more than the KH.

Thanks,

Adam

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a drop in pH is a potency reduction. pH is a log scale, so a drop of 0.11 pH units is about a 29% drop in potency. (It is actually a little worse than the simple log scale predicts, but unless folks really want to talk about the nitty gritty details, just assume it’s dropping by the ratio of the pH values raised to the power of 10.)

OP
OP
Adamc13o3

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a drop in pH is a potency reduction. pH is a log scale, so a drop of 0.11 pH units is about a 29% drop in potency. (It is actually a little worse than the simple log scale predicts, but unless folks really want to talk about the nitty gritty details, just assume it’s dropping by the ratio of the pH values raised to the power of 10.)
Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But at what value does potency start?

The pH of saturated kalkwasser at 25 deg C is 12.45.

If you use pH for potency, which is much less accurate than conductivity, then do not just use the value you get. Directly compare it to known saturated kalkwasser.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back