Quoyi parrot long term success

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread - I've had a happy and healthy quoy's parrotfish (called "beaker") for just over 2 years now. I believe I'm one of the few (only?) local reefers who's managed to have one live longer than 3-6 months.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want one but I am worried it will just die in two years.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank is yours in? Reef tank or fowlr? What’s the daily diet you feed it? How large is he now roughly?
200 gallons total (160 gallons display). Mixed reef (with probably equal amounts of each). The frozen diet consists of: LRS Reef Frenzy Herbivore, PE Mysis, PE Calanus, Hikari Brine, TLF SeaVeggies Green/Red and various pellets: NLS Algae Maxx, Algae Wafers and Marine Fish and Nyos Wild Goji, True Algae and Sweet Aloe. Plus whatever algae and rocks he scrapes the absolute crap out of...

Our parrotfish is somewhere between 6-7" in length, which is probably 2" larger than when we got him. And very fat. Did I mention he's chunky?

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had one in 2012 for a little over a year. Was healthy as a clam and gorgeous. Lost him during Hurricane Sandy : ( . I think the secret was feeding nori every day and multiple feedings a day. Think I was feeding rods predatory blend and an omnivore blend and Nori and a flake called Marine 2. Compared to my Moorish Idol I had for a similar amount of time and also lost to a power outage from the Hurricane, the parrot was far easier.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting two princess parrots. Heard they do better than Quoyi but not as pretty.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From what I have been reading, no they both only get to about 10"
Idk why I thought they got like 2 ft. Well hope they do well for you! I know I'll be trying a quoyi again once I have a large tank again.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quoyi in the ocean can get to 15" But they only get to 10" in a tank. Princess gets 10" in both wild and tank.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting two princess parrots. Heard they do better than Quoyi but not as pretty.
How are the two getting along? I currently have a striped parrotfish and introduced a Quoyi that was about 2 inches larger. This is in a 450 gallon tank. The striped parrot killed the Quoyi before I could try to seperate them. I was devestated. So, for me, one parrotfish at a time only.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the two getting along? I currently have a striped parrotfish and introduced a Quoyi that was about 2 inches larger. This is in a 450 gallon tank. The striped parrot killed the Quoyi before I could try to seperate them. I was devestated. So, for me, one parrotfish at a time only.
They are doing good now, but I may end up rehoming one. I had not planed to get two it was an accident. Somehow had QTY 2 not 1 on the online shopping cart and did not catch it in time. They shipped them the same day I placed the order. They are pretty shy and I have to stay pretty far back from the tank just to get a picture. They will bolt to the other side of the tank when ever I walk up to it.

1709785979510.png

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep this thread going. I recently purchased a Quoyi. About a 4” fish. Absolutely beautiful. Ran it through QT and currently have it in my 75 gallon. Upon introduction, my chocolate tang that was in the same tank, went nuts and kept chasing the parrot. Which could not stand. So the tang got banished to my 40 gallon refugium. The parrot itself is such a personable fish. Greets me at the tank every time I walk up. Colors are just stunning. Right now, it definitely prefers TDO pellets. Eats them with gusto. I most certainly won’t claim any long term success, since I’m only about a month in. But if anyone has any more stories that can add to the successful keeping of these fish, I’m all ears. Here’s mine. Difficult to get a good picture as they never sit still!
IMG_0611.jpeg

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of juvenile Stripped Parrotfish in my 75g softy tank. They look like this currentlyt
1713753870709.png

If I can get one of them to terminal colors they should look close to this
1713754035489.png

The seller told me they were Princess Parrotfish but after a week with them they looked much more like striped parrotfish.

They were easy to QT. Easy to get to feed frozen and pellets.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back