R/O Reservoir?

Raddock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK,

I'm thinking that I need some sort of holding tank to keep R/O water in for tank filling/water changes, etc. Do most folks do this? What containers do you use? Do you have just one, or do you keep one with Salt water too? Watching the BRS 52 week aquarium build on You tube, they are using two Norwesco containers- researching that, I'm coming up with a cost of about 200 Each shipped for 75 gallon containers. Do you guys have any more affordable alternatives?

TIA,

George

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most popular are the Rubbermaid Brute trashcans since they are food safe and you can get snug fitting lids and wheel kits for them.
I use a 23 gallon Rubbermaid recycling can myself for ATO storage, the tall rectangular shape was perfect for the space I had to put it in. For changes I use a Rubbermaid Roughneck 30 gallon can on wheels.

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a relatively inexpensive ATO reservoir, most made from stuff I had around the house. I documented it in my Member's Tank Build HERE (Page 2, post #26). I should point out that I couldn't fit anything under my stand that was easily accessible, so my reservoir sits to the side of my tank.

To make it look a little prettier, I made a simple three sided cabinet to cover it up (page 4, post # 64, 65 and 66)....in above link

And since the bottle was now covered, I made a simple Low Reservoir Indicator to let me know when it needs another bottle of water....(Page 4, post # 78).....little green LED.

It holds about 11 gallons....and just lasted me a week when I was on vacation.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go as large as you possibly can to cut down on refilling intervals. If you can find someone that does acrylic, have one custom made to the size you want and color so it looks good and is functional. I had my reservoir built into my custom sump and it holds about 20 gals and I love it! It only fills once every two weeks or so. A lot better than every 2-3 days as I was before.

OP
OP
Raddock

Raddock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I decided to build a stack of two containers 40G each with a plumbing system to allow me to fill the top from my R/O DI filter with a float valve control. The lower container will be for salt water and fill by gravity from the top tank. This tank will be plumbed with a pump to allow recirculation mixing of salt, and pump water to and from the tank (to adrain, not back to the container) for water changes. I'm still waiting for the containers, but I have built the stand: IMG_1608.JPG IMG_1609.JPG

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Brute trash cans, one for fresh, one for salt. Not expensive and works great. I think they are about 22g each.

OP
OP
Raddock

Raddock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upon rethinking my plumbing diagram, I can lose one tank penetration by plumbing the R/ODI water intake into the salt recirculation pipe

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I used with a water line run to the container and a float to shut it off. I had a couple of overflows so the float was my insurance policy for overflows. From what I have read, is you still want to shut off your RO/DI filter when the container is full. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22810&catid=835

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you scored a good deal on a tank and you are ready to go. I went with the square, for space reasons.

OP
OP
Raddock

Raddock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have prefered a square tank configuration for space optimization, but opted for the larger capacity and stacked them to save floor space and allow gravity feed from fresh to salt tank. The tank cost is great- shipping is the killer, but I couldn't find what I wanted locally :(

OP
OP
Raddock

Raddock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I decided to build a stack of two containers 40G each with a plumbing system to allow me to fill the top from my R/O DI filter with a float valve control. The lower container will be for salt water and fill by gravity from the top tank. This tank will be plumbed with a pump to allow recirculation mixing of salt, and pump water to and from the tank (to adrain, not back to the container) for water changes. I'm still waiting for the containers, but I have built the stand: IMG_1608.JPG IMG_1609.JPG

I thought I would post the final product. After initial use, I decided that the top shelf was too close to the top of the lower tank-making salt introduction difficult, so I streted the legs about 12 inches with gussets and had to extend the plumbing as well.
IMG_1681.JPG
IMG_1684.JPG

OP
OP
Raddock

Raddock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55 gallon drums
I found locally for 10$ a piece

20160425_193512.jpg
I found similar blue plastic barrels at Walmart (on line) but the absence of a removable access hatch ruled them out for me. Looks like you solved that problem with a box cutter :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back