Rabbitfish sting effect on other fish? Was my tang stung?

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Walked up to the tank and saw my convict tang in the back laying flat on the sand. Gills moving, eyes moving, pectoral fins moving a bit. But pretty non-responsive physically when I netted him and moved him to a safe section of the refugium. (seemed COMPLETELY normal an hour or so ago)

I have a Blue-lined/striped rabbitfish that's about 3-5 weeks new to the tank. It's been a bit shy but swims around quite a lot with the convict tang seemingly eating together.

So I have no evidence that I can find that the rabbitfish stung the tang - don't see any puncture marks. But was just wondering if anyone has seen the effects of a rabbitfish stinging another fish?

The tang is now just laying in a net in some flow in the refugium - still alive.

Thanks.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are likely to see a puncture or cut of some manner for there to be any reaction to the sting. My flagfin gets into it with my fox and occasionally she gets a sting. There is an obvious puncture, abrasion type wound; initially I was concerned but she seems unaffected. I was also concerned about infection but that healed up just fine without complications. Mind you all fish will react differently but you would see physical signs of a sting or grazing, their sting can sometimes be like a cut.

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are likely to see a puncture or cut of some manner for there to be any reaction to the sting. My flagfin gets into it with my fox and occasionally she gets a sting. There is an obvious puncture, abrasion type wound; initially I was concerned but she seems unaffected. I was also concerned about infection but that healed up just fine without complications. Mind you all fish will react differently but you would see physical signs of a sting or grazing, their sting can sometimes be like a cut.
I would say this wasn't a sting then - I really don't see anything.

I guess he just has another issue - fish-aneurysm, fish-stroke, fish-seizure... dunno. I'll just keep watching him and see what happens.

I don't even know if there's anything to even attempt to do at this point...

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say this wasn't a sting then - I really don't see anything.

I guess he just has another issue - fish-aneurysm, fish-stroke, fish-seizure... dunno. I'll just keep watching him and see what happens.

I don't even know if there's anything to even attempt to do at this point...
Is it safe/recommended to do a freshwater dip in case it's flukes/velvet or something I can't see? Or does that risk just killing it at this point?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back