Radeon XR15 dead? Dropped it...

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was throwing some pellets in, caught the edge of the XR15 on the Radeon Mount...it dropped from the mount onto my screen, so it didn't submerge or anything, but now its not working.

At first it flashed all three red lights over and over, and now nothing. I tried plugging the USB cord in, but EcoSmart Live doesn't even recognize it.

The power supply is green. Is it done for? Anything else I can try here?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would open a ticket with Ecotech. It doesn't sound like you did anything that would cause an issue which is why I say to ask Ecotech directly.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would open a ticket with Ecotech. It doesn't sound like you did anything that would cause an issue which is why I say to ask Ecotech directly.
The edge of the light defuser addon got slightly damp, but I didn't find any water spots on the LED matrix, its bone dry.

Thanks I'll send them a ticket. I have to figure out something quick though since I don't have a backup light.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, hopefully you find a solution asap.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well woke up this morning, the USB still isn't recognizing the unit, however I now have blue lights showing...
Let's see if it begins its normal cycle in an hour! Fingers crossed...

The new G5 XR30 would be nice, but don't really need to spend that money right now!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the connection between the light and the powersupply. Those connectors come loose easily.

No need for G5s if you have G4s unless you’re an upgrade junky. G4s are proven to do the job just fine.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the connection seems to be fine...

Well its "working", normal light cycle is normal, its doing some odd stuff though, including the fan is running at near full speed. I don't think I've ever seen the fan run much before..

Who knows how long it'll last, but at least for now its running. I have everything dialed in the way I want, so if the USB doesn't come back to life, or the fan runs excessively its not a deal breaker, but I'll be prepared to get a Gen 5 if it fails on me soon.

Maybe its worth taking it apart and checking for any obvious salt anywhere.

Ecotech emailed to me this morning and said they'd fix it for me, I would just have to pay for the parts. Maybe I'll get the XR30 Gen 5 in the next few months if it lasts long enough, then send this one in for repair. I want to get a 150g tank in the next year... so I'll need more light fixtures anyway.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a thought before I send it into Ecotech for a repair...
Mobius might be available soon for the G4 - I may wait it out, buy the RF chip and see if I can control it that way if the USB port is the only thing that is broken.

Anybody have any ideas when G4 support on Mobius might come out?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Neither.

• Other.

Back