Radiant Wrasse Issues

Micksfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Little background, I have a community Wrasse tank with about 6 wrasses in it. 5 different types of leopard wrasse and a Radiant wrasse.

The radiant wrasse has always rubbed and itched on rocks since I got him more than any fish I have owned before. I have had him for about 8 months now. I had treated with Prazi when I got him in and done a second round of treatment at the 3 month mark of owning him.

Usually, the itching and rubbing was the only thing that made me nervous, however it never seemed to get worse and he ate like a pig and was putting on size pretty quickly. So I didn't worry about it too much, as it was a constant thing, just from time to time he would itch and rub on rocks.

Additionally, no other fish were showing signs of having any issues. I've owned the leopard wrasses for at least 5 to 8 months time and they are not itching at all and eat great. Additionally, they were all treated with prazi as well.

Jump forward to today, over the last week the Radiant has seemed to be getting worse, I started another prazi treatment and am debating doing another round of it today. He doesn't show any signs of velvet or ich, his poop from what I can see looks normal. The only thing I can see, is the membrane of his gills is just slightly sticking out where on other fish it is not. Which leads me to believe it is either flukes that are resistant to prazi or the very beginning stages of ich. Additionally, when he rubs or itches it is all centered around his gills and face that he rubs. He is still eating well, and very active swimmer. His breathing may be a bit elevated, but honestly, I can't say with confidence if that is true or not. As he has always been an active swimmer. However no other fish has showed any signs they have an issue .

My thoughts moving forward are to try one more treatment of prazi while also medicating their food with metro. If that doesn't work, pull the radiant into a qt and treat more directly but I'm not sure what I should treat with. I feel formalin is a bit to harsh to jump to as the next step.

I'm hoping someone can assist with what you think the next best steps are and what you think this may be. He isn't getting better and I fear that prazi is not doing the trick. I could use some guidance on what may be the best next steps moving forward for him asap as I really enjoy this fish and would love to save him.

My tank has been up and running for a year and a half and has been very stable. All water parameters are within acceptable levels of what you'd consider a happy, healthy tank.

Thanks for the assistance!
Mick

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Little background, I have a community Wrasse tank with about 6 wrasses in it. 5 different types of leopard wrasse and a Radiant wrasse.

The radiant wrasse has always rubbed and itched on rocks since I got him more than any fish I have owned before. I have had him for about 8 months now. I had treated with Prazi when I got him in and done a second round of treatment at the 3 month mark of owning him.

Usually, the itching and rubbing was the only thing that made me nervous, however it never seemed to get worse and he ate like a pig and was putting on size pretty quickly. So I didn't worry about it too much, as it was a constant thing, just from time to time he would itch and rub on rocks.

Additionally, no other fish were showing signs of having any issues. I've owned the leopard wrasses for at least 5 to 8 months time and they are not itching at all and eat great. Additionally, they were all treated with prazi as well.

Jump forward to today, over the last week the Radiant has seemed to be getting worse, I started another prazi treatment and am debating doing another round of it today. He doesn't show any signs of velvet or ich, his poop from what I can see looks normal. The only thing I can see, is the membrane of his gills is just slightly sticking out where on other fish it is not. Which leads me to believe it is either flukes that are resistant to prazi or the very beginning stages of ich. Additionally, when he rubs or itches it is all centered around his gills and face that he rubs. He is still eating well, and very active swimmer. His breathing may be a bit elevated, but honestly, I can't say with confidence if that is true or not. As he has always been an active swimmer. However no other fish has showed any signs they have an issue .

My thoughts moving forward are to try one more treatment of prazi while also medicating their food with metro. If that doesn't work, pull the radiant into a qt and treat more directly but I'm not sure what I should treat with. I feel formalin is a bit to harsh to jump to as the next step.

I'm hoping someone can assist with what you think the next best steps are and what you think this may be. He isn't getting better and I fear that prazi is not doing the trick. I could use some guidance on what may be the best next steps moving forward for him asap as I really enjoy this fish and would love to save him.

My tank has been up and running for a year and a half and has been very stable. All water parameters are within acceptable levels of what you'd consider a happy, healthy tank.

Mick
Some people have had good luck using General Cure (mix of prazi and metroplex) for Prazi resistant flukes. If you move to a QT you can also use a higher than normally recommended dose of prazipro.

Have you ever done a FW dip on the fish? That would provide some temporary relief and could confirm if flukes are present.

OP
OP
Micksfish

Micksfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people have had good luck using General Cure (mix of prazi and metroplex) for Prazi resistant flukes. If you move to a QT you can also use a higher than normally recommended dose of prazipro.

Have you ever done a FW dip on the fish? That would provide some temporary relief and could confirm if flukes are present.

I have debated this but catching the radiant out of the tank is incredibly difficult. I essentially have to remove 80% of my live rock to get him. So I've been trying to treat with all my in tank options first to see if that resolves it.

I have a QT setup, so if I do end up pulling him, I will definitely try that.

Thanks!

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Mick

Following. I have the exact same issue with my Radiant wrasse. Always, always scratching & rubbing his face/gill since day 1! Treatments so far are FW, Acrilavine bath, TTM, several doses of GC and Prazipro while in Hyposalinity and they don't seem to help. I think I'll move to Copper next.

OP
OP
Micksfish

Micksfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I have the exact same issue with my Radiant wrasse. Always, always scratching & rubbing his face/gill since day 1! Treatments so far are FW, Acrilavine bath, TTM, several doses of GC and Prazipro while in Hyposalinity and they don't seem to help. I think I'll move to Copper next.

I've watched as many videos as I can find on youtube with other people who have radiant's and I am starting to think this may just be something they do. As they seem to rub and itch a decent amount too. Or maybe they are susceptible to some type of infection in their gills. Not sure which.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Micksfish

Micksfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a recent post on treating fish (for Black Ich but the info may help here) with Prazipro/General Cure by @Humblefish. You'll note he posted that he had to resort to Formalin to final finish off the flukes.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/psa-general-cure-turbellarians.401681/#post-4797651

Thanks I will check that out. Seems like these guys just itch more in general than most other wrasses. Which makes it even harder to know if it is natural or from some type of parasite.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back