Radion deshadow template oplnions please.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't understand what you mean by shadowing.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@smokin'reefer I think its awsome.

I don't understand what you mean by shadowing.
with a lensed light source depending on the distance from an object the lines of the light are sharper. with a single small source this is accentuated over the subject. (spot light)
in t5 or mh the source is much larger(reflector on mh and size on the t5) and the light doesnt fill or wrap around the outside edges of the coral.
with a light source that sends light all over the tank and allows it to bounce around and hit the subject from multiple angels it reduces "shadowing"
This is the method Dr Yoshi used on his big tank but he used multiple units, not just for intensity but to hit all sides of the tank and corals from many angles.

The kessel ap700 I saw at macna in person they use a super wide lens(160 degree) in conjunction with a tiny outer polished ring reflector to send the light in as many directions as possible.
So a single two puck light actually had the spread to cover a 48in tank pretty darned evenly.:eek:.....And yes, I took my lux meter to test it. (you should have seen his face:D)
about 30 to 35,000 lux @ approx 10 to 12 in. And Yea the kessil guy was totally cool with it and we had a great talk for about 40 min. pretty neat light.

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx Salty. The "shadowing" I notice on acro frags I have been adding is super bright, well lit on one side and black on the other. To the point you can't make out details. I am just starting to add acros and want to make sure I do what I can for success. These "sticks" are sometimes pricey and usually are closer to the size of a splinter. Here I spent about $30 and seriously increased light spread.
e1b7fdb094ce7d375e7fd1b75df1b3c2.jpg

Pics probably not doing it justice, but when I put my micro canopy on light you can noticeably see details coming out of shadows.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In television and film lighting we use what is called a "soft box" or crony comb to do the same. Spread the size of the source.

Oh fwiw, according to Dana Riddle yesterday, about 2oo to 300 par for growth and then higher for color. Color(fluorescence) and photosynthesis is inverse. More glow less grow.
and of course browning:( well you know.;)

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View from couch def improved with micro-canopies.
cc5dd11ed973f468cce2be625650226e.jpg

Whether or not it helps with shadows is to be determined. I got a Biotek Marine Par Meter and there wasn't any imorovement with par but visually you can see more details in shadey areas. All in all worth the time and $30 spent.

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View from couch def improved with micro-canopies.

Whether or not it helps with shadows is to be determined. I got a Biotek Marine Par Meter and there wasn't any imorovement with par but visually you can see more details in shadey areas. All in all worth the time and $30 spent.
I think the biggest improvement is the ability to sit there and look at the tank without all the light bleed blinding you. :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back