Radion G4 still viable?

marinesnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yes it is. Reef LED technology has reached a saturation point, we’re only seeing incremental improvements now.

The g3s grow impressive coral too. Don’t let the minute spec differences make you think it’ll make a meaningful difference. A light photon is a light photon.

Last edited:

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is. Reef LED technology has reached a saturation point, we’re only seeing incremental improvements now.

The g3s grow impressive coral too. Don’t let the minute spec differences make you think it’ll make a meaningful difference. A light photon is a light photon.
I run a couple of G3 XR15's Pro's on a couple of my tanks. They are great. The XR30's... Those ballasts... I don't have any place to put those... LOL

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm lazy, I've never cleaned mine in the 6 years they've been in use.

What would you say is the dirtiest part when cleaning?
Fans build up with dust, reducing cooling... shorting the life of the unit. Also depending on how close the the units are to the water. The G3/4 can pull up salty moist air that can have a corrosive effect on the internals.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fans build up with dust, reducing cooling... shorting the life of the unit. Also depending on how close the the units are to the water. The G3/4 can pull up salty moist air that can have a corrosive effect on the internals.
Are you saying the fan blades collect dust? Or does it clog the aluminum channels on the heat sink?

How does moisture get into the internals? It should all be sealed with a gasket.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying the fan blades collect dust? Or does it clog the aluminum channels on the heat sink?

How does moisture get into the internals? It should all be sealed with a gasket.
I think the "salt air" is a bit sticky and helps with the dust collection all over. And yes, if dust collects on the heat sink it now becomes insulation, (think attic). To be honest, I have to take a closer look next time, but I think the air flows directly via the fan over the internals. Not me, but I have read that a few folks have had premature failure because of corrosion of the internals because the light was close to the water. The G3/4 sucks air up and the G5/6 sucks air down from the top.

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the thread high-jack.

I have 2 G4's , only used Echotech live - never tried Mobius so have no experience with it. Now i cant find the cable I used to initially program them with my old laptop. I was able to log into the "live" website and it shows my 2 G4 Xr30 Pro lights, but without a cable hookup it does me no good. Can someone confirm the port size on the side of the fixture for me and I will just buy a new cable.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the "salt air" is a bit sticky and helps with the dust collection all over. And yes, if dust collects on the heat sink it now becomes insulation, (think attic). To be honest, I have to take a closer look next time, but I think the air flows directly via the fan over the internals. Not me, but I have read that a few folks have had premature failure because of corrosion of the internals because the light was close to the water. The G3/4 sucks air up and the G5/6 sucks air down from the top.
I can tell you that the fan doesn't blow across the PCBs or any electrical components, they are sealed off from the environment with a gasket. The fan simply removes heat away from the backside of the heat sink.

I'm pretty knowledgeable on ecotech component design. Hehe.

I was just wanting to know what your experience was.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
do you think reefbrite addition is as good? or should i go the t5 route?
Reefbrites are solid and have a proven track record. I just like the coverage and shimmer reduction of T5. I swear some of the setups I look at make me dizzy with all the shimmer. You should get comparable but not 1:1 coverage with those compared to T5.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 78.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back