[Radion Question] Difference in spectrum between G3 & G4

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking into buying either a G3 or G4 with the price drops for my upgrade.

LEDs last like 12 years so I’m not super worried about lifespan. However, I am wondering if there’s spectrum differences that should make me go for the G4 at the higher price.

Any info would be appreciated!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sisterlimonpot @SkiCatTX

Would you guys know the difference between the G3 and G4 regarding the spectrum?

I would think the G4 has better led spread, but the G3's do with the diffuser.

Will the G3's work with the Mobius app?

Thanks for your input.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outside the obvious of the extra LEDs that the G4 offers, the biggest difference is the G4 came out with the HEI lenses that blended the individual LEDs much better than the older TIR lenses.

Up until the G3 their business model was such that anyone with the previous generation was able to upgrade to the newest version. But with the G4 and subsequently with the G5, that upgrade path is not possible.
And that's due to the fact that they completely overhauled the fixtures internals. The G4 had a better heatsink which made it possible to push the light output, as well as making the fan quieter.

I don't know the particular differences in the choices of LEDs between the 2, but G4 started to focus more on the bluer spectrum, and fine tune that Coral Lab AB+ spectrum that has become the industry standard.

I don't know what the price difference between a used G3 and 4, buy would almost say hands down that the G4 would be worth the extra money.

Last edited:

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sisterlimonpot @SkiCatTX

Would you guys know the difference between the G3 and G4 regarding the spectrum?

Will the G3's work with the Mobius app?
I only have the G3 and G5 Blue, so not sure about the G4. However, I have the diffusers on my G3 along with the wider angle lens kit and it works very well. There is almost no shimmer.

It is my understanding that the G3 can be updated to work with Mobius if you get the replacement "blue" radio board. Unfortunately, it seems that has come down off the Ecotech site since right before Mobius officially shipped, but it's difficult to get. Most of the newer G4s apparently have the new board, but they are also upgradable if not. The board was like $40 originally, don't know if they plan on selling it again or not...

One thing though, I believe it's the same board in all the devices, so if you can find a dead Vortec or Vectra sold in the last couple years, you might be able to salvage that and use it in a G3 or G4 Radion. That's only a theory, I've never actually tried it.

Outside the obvious of the extra LEDs that the G4 offers, the biggest difference is the G4 came out with the HEI lenses that blended the individual LEDs much better than the older TIR lenses.

Up until the G3 their business model was such that anyone with the previous generation was able to upgrade to the newest version. But with the G4 and subsequently with the G5, that upgrade path is not possible.
And that's due to the fact that they completely overhauled the fixtures internals. The G4 had a better heatsink which made it possible to push the light output, as well as making the fan quieter.

I don't know the particular differences in the choices of LEDs between the 2, but G4 started to focus more on the bluer spectrum, and fine tune that Coral Lab AB+ spectrum that has become the industry standard.

I don't know what the price difference between a used G3 and 4, buy would almost say hands down that the G4 would be worth the extra money.
I agree, unless the price difference is significant, the better LEDs and lens would make it worth getting the newer lights.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back