Radion XR-15 Pro - Fan Issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jari81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to have the fan issue, which has already been reported here on the forums.

I don't know if this is really an issue with the Hardware or the App.

I tried the following:

I turned the lights off for 30 minutes, to let them cool off.
I turned on the "Fan always on" option.

Then I started playing around with the "Fan Max Speed" settings.
When changing it, the fan would always ramp down for a moment and ramp up immediately.
I could not hear any difference between the 100% setting and the 10% setting.
It seemed to me as if the system would completely ignore it, and let it run at 100%.

Maybe somebody who has reported having no issues with their G5's could test this,
and tell me if the behavior is the same for them.

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same behavior from mine. The fans always sound like a propeller plane taking off regardless of settings.

andrewb70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi same for me - I have 3 x XR15 G5s and they all have audibly noticeable noise (well at least I would say they have). Luckily the tank is in the dining room but if it was in the main living area it would be annoying.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From EcoTech:

EcoTech deeply regrets any issues you may be having with our product(s). We would like to provide you with immediate assistance so please contact our customer service department directly by email, text, phone or live chat. Representatives are available 9am-5pm EST Monday-Friday but feel free to make a service enquiry at any time. Phone: 1-800-785-0338 ext 2, Email: [email protected], Live Chat (business hours): https://support.ecotechmarine.com/Important: International service support may be performed by an authorized distributor. Please specify your location when requesting service. International laws and policies may differ from those of the United States.

EcoTech Marine does not actively monitor forums and social media for service requests – please be advised that you will not receive service support unless you contact and official EcoTech Marine service center.

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, there is only "on and off" I don't notice any difference to 10% or 100% the fans are constantly booming unbearably loud.

OP
OP
J

Jari81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already opened a support ticket and sent them a video.

In the meantime, I did a little troubleshooting on my own.
I put the light on a little testbench, and tested it with my lighting schedule.

First thing I did, is to take the plastic cover off.
Without the cover I noticed I could go to 55-60% output instead of 40% before the fan kicked in.
The cover traps some heat from the heat sink, but I guess design over function on this one ;-)

But when it kicks in, it is at 100%.
It does not matter what I set as max speed in the app, it does not slow down a bit
and pushes a lot of air.

This amount of air pushed through the dust guard, is also
the main source of this hissing / swooshing sound that is so incredibly annoying.

The lowest setting in the app is 10%, if this was 10% the fan would fly off the light at 100%

I slowed down the fan with my finger just a little, and the noise went down significantly.

So the problem is the fan speed creating a lot of air flow, and not being able to limit it using the app.

Do you guys experiencing the same problems have Android or IOS?

Since the app has only 2 stars in the playstore, I'm wondering if this is really a hardware or a software problem.
It may even not be working correctly on certain phones.

My light was manufactured on October 3rd, so it's from a pretty recent batch.

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ios and as already written nothing changes in the fan speed. 10% or 100% does not matter, they always turn at full power and are loud.

Doreno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether this problem has been resolved at the moment or the fan always runs at 100 percent?

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have a problem with the fan on my Radion X15 G3. I gave it to a friend to use about 5 years ago. Now that I needed it, I took it back. He returned it to me without the original power supply (he installed a regular 24 volt power supply), since his original one burned out. I noticed that the fan did not turn on at all. I thought the problem was with the fan and ordered a pair of matching 12 volt fans online. But the fan still doesn't turn on. Most likely the fan switching module has gone bad. I'll probably take a 12 volt power source and connect it directly to the fan. Switching on and off via timer.
If anyone has any comments or just thoughts, please share, maybe the problem can be solved easier?

tom33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ce problème a-t-il été résolu pour le moment ou le ventilateur tourne toujours à 100 % ?
J'utilise iOS et comme déjà écrit, rien ne change dans la vitesse du ventilateur. 10 % ou 100 % n'a pas d'importance, ils tournent toujours à pleine puissance et sont bruyants.

I use ios and as already written nothing changes in the fan speed. 10% or 100% does not matter, they always turn at full power and are loud.
I dig up this topic
I have exactly the same problem with my xr15 G5 blue, I love the rendering but the noise makes me miss my old hydra
Has a solution been found since then?
maybe an update

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back