Radion XR 30 G5 Blue Owners PLease

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI all I am setting up my new 5' 120g tank and am wondering what height you have your lights at. I have watched the BRS videos on it and the figure they gave was 7" from the top of the glass for XR30s. I have done this but have just realised that if I want to raise them I have to mount the rail on top of the tv mounts and that will lift them 2-3"..
Before I position the tank I am considering raising the tv mounts by about 3-6" and adjusting the light bar height with a threaded 316 ss threaded stock. This will allow me to adjust the lights within a wide scope.
Can anyone advise what there heights are as I kinda think the threaded bar will look kinda off( although practical)

I am going to use 4 x XR30 blues
thanks

IMG_7284.jpg IMG_7285.jpg

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing with Radions is the light spill. So the higher you mount, the more in your eyes they’ll be. They put out plenty of PAR. At the normal 8” height (using RMS arms), my 3x XR30B G5 with diffusers are putting out 250 PAR on the sand and 350 PAR atop my rocks which are 9” below the surface of the water at 55% intensity. 4 XR30 at the same height would get you the same on 40% power, so raising it another 2-3” will only need another 5-10% in power I would guess.

Again, getting shades or building a canopy would be your biggest concern because of the amount of light bleed.

OP
OP
BaliReefBox

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the reply mate appreciate it. When you say RMS 8" is that from the bottom of the light to the water? i seem to remember 8" being to the water, which equates roughly to 7" to the top of tank. I will look into some shades made out of black acrylic with some alloy reflective tape inside to reflect the light down.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the reply mate appreciate it. When you say RMS 8" is that from the bottom of the light to the water? i seem to remember 8" being to the water, which equates roughly to 7" to the top of tank. I will look into some shades made out of black acrylic with some alloy reflective tape inside to reflect the light down.
Yeah, about 7” from glass and my water line is between 1.25-1.5” from the rim of my glass. Definitely look into shading the spill, it’s pretty bad. But the spread is awesome and hotspot minimized. I only have about 50 PAR swings at the top of my rocks and the corners of my tank at the sand I’m getting about 180PAR where the middle sand is at 250PAR.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The thing with Radions is the light spill. So the higher you mount, the more in your eyes they’ll be. They put out plenty of PAR. At the normal 8” height (using RMS arms), my 3x XR30B G5 with diffusers are putting out 250 PAR on the sand and 350 PAR atop my rocks which are 9” below the surface of the water at 55% intensity. 4 XR30 at the same height would get you the same on 40% power, so raising it another 2-3” will only need another 5-10% in power I would guess.

Again, getting shades or building a canopy would be your biggest concern because of the amount of light bleed.

The new narrow lenses came out today that would help on the light spill issue. Tempted to get some for my xr15s

OP
OP
BaliReefBox

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new narrow lenses came out today that would help on the light spill issue. Tempted to get some for my xr15s

this look good. I think i will try them as is first and see how they go..If the spillage is too much will try and source then thanks

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 Radion xr30 gen 5 blues and 3 kessil a360 all mounted 16 inches off the tank top. I get plenty of light. Not running them at 100%...

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The spread is diminished and hot spot increased by using those lenses (basically turns them into G4) so they will need to be mounted higher, which would still make the light spill an issue. A shade structure will still be needed in either case.

For the OP, this will help him mount higher though so he has more room to work under the lights.

OP
OP
BaliReefBox

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the OP, this will help him mount higher though so he has more room to work under the lights.
Thanks for the help, I have the lights mounted on TV brackets that I can push back to the wall and give me decent access in to the tank. I think I will keep them at the 7" above the glass and see how they go with the spill. THe tank is only 22" deep so I dont think light penetration will be a concern..I will report back and update later

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help, I have the lights mounted on TV brackets that I can push back to the wall and give me decent access in to the tank. I think I will keep them at the 7" above the glass and see how they go with the spill. THe tank is only 22" deep so I dont think light penetration will be a concern..I will report back and update later
Yeah you’re going to want to keep the factory lenses. Although, you do have 4 XR30s so you might get away from using the more narrow lenses at a lower height since you won’t need spread as bad. Also will save power since you’ll have to disk them back even more.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back