Random Flow Generator issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this issue now with 4 of them, I really like them but I just stopped buying them, plus the last time I bought a replacement it didn't even come close to fitting the loc line (too loose) It's a shame because its a great idea but the need some more R&D on these.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are, why not surprised?
From the pictures you can clearly see layer separation at the cut. These snap onto an existing line which will apply constant pressure to the part. PETG is relatively strong, but layer adhesion issues still can't be ignored. Which is what I think is happening here.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the pictures you can clearly see layer separation at the cut. These snap onto an existing line which will apply constant pressure to the part. PETG is relatively strong, but layer adhesion issues still can't be ignored. Which is what I think is happening here.
Gotcha, I've had 1 for about 2 years. Loose, but still able to direct it. I would glue that to a loc-line piece and still use it. Actually, epoxy would work better.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, I've had 1 for about 2 years. Loose, but still able to direct it.
"Loose" is the key here. It needs to fit perfectly and be a little loose so that there is no pressure on the joint.
From just this thread it seems that either the size of the part varies greatly from print to print or the size of the line is not uniform for everyone. You lucked out, others didn't.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine always ended up getting loose too. I also decided I didn't like putting so much back pressure on the return. Oh, I also didn't like that I had to run them so deep to prevent vortices that my sump would fill up way too much when I'd shut down the return. They do work well if you feed enough water to them.

OlafsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. I had an adapter split at the layer and the RFG nozzle crack right out of the package. Would love to see these produced with some better materials.

rfgSplit.png

Last edited:

OlafsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI I also reached out to vividcreativeaquatics. They were quick to respond and gave me a coupon code for a replacement.

They said: "it's pretty uncommon for the nozzle to crack in such a way as long as it's being connected to genuine Loc-Line, and since you're using one of our Kits, that should not be an issue"

Given the feedback I've seen on this site and elsewhere, I'm not certain that is the case. Perhaps we just got a bad batch? Either way, good customer service, and hope they mature materials used as I really like these on my small waterbox cube.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine both cracked as well. I think you need to install them on the loc line ball as straight as possible and the same for removable so you don’t side load the female side.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Lot of people are not buying because of this. I have two on my tank but only been usong 3 months. If these break not gonna buy again.
Need better materials. Not 3d printed.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine always ended up getting loose too. I also decided I didn't like putting so much back pressure on the return. Oh, I also didn't like that I had to run them so deep to prevent vortices that my sump would fill up way too much when I'd shut down the return. They do work well if you feed enough water to them.
You need to have a syphone break so it won't back feed to the sump.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back