Random pet fish death

Jackylegs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I live in Australia and have had a 280L tropical tank established for more than 12months. I've just had a random bacteria bloom happen which I'm told shouldn't harm my fish but I have had 9 die in two days. Water levels were perfect 4 days ago. Bloom started and got a retest which came back perfect still. Next day I found 7 dead so took another test down to find the pH and ammonia had crashed severely. Yesterday I found two more dead. I am really devastated as I've lost over $200 dollars of fish and my tank still looks like it's not changing.
I am wondering if there is anyway I can get an insurance cover for the fish I've lost. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt any insurance would cover livestock death in a situation like this. The only way that livestock would possibly be covered by insurance would be if damage covered by homeowners insurance was the cause of the death….and even then maybe not.

A bacterial bloom will significantly decrease oxygen in the tank. How many fish did you have? Perhaps lack of oxygen started the downward spiral?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back