Randy's MG Recipe Part 3 - Query

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm fairly new to reef keeping in general and so still finding my feet a little with dosing. So based in the UK I dose commercial Reef Zlements two part. Due to my salt mix my mg is always a little low and I'd like to boost that if possible. Now currently I use commercial mg supplements but they are pricey so would like to try and create my own.

I've read the article written by Randy and believe that as my two part is not diy (no calcium chloride) then I need to mix in a 10 to 1 ratio for flake to salts and use this to boost my water changes.

Is there somebody that could just advise me on the metric amount of the two supplements I need to add to 1 litre of RO water. I should then be able to use the calculator to work out the dose. Would I select "Randy's recipes" under the mg column to dose my newly created 10 to 1 solution.

What is also the view of just using flake to adjust mg levels. I wc 15 percent each week.

Any advice would be really appreciated and save me a fair few bucks each month.

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just jigger up your salt mix with Epsom salts intended for human ingestion.
Super cheap and since your salt is missing mag and you;'re testing it should be easy to get it dialed in.

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super cheap and since your salt is missing mag and you;'re testing it should be easy to get it dialed in.
Many thanks, really want to keep it was simple as possible really. Mag flake (dead sea) is cheap to purchase here and tanks 60 gallon. I guess that's probably the sightly better option due to sulphate creep with Epsom.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That works, but is not the best option for an ion balance standpoint. Too much sulfate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm fairly new to reef keeping in general and so still finding my feet a little with dosing. So based in the UK I dose commercial Reef Zlements two part. Due to my salt mix my mg is always a little low and I'd like to boost that if possible. Now currently I use commercial mg supplements but they are pricey so would like to try and create my own.

I've read the article written by Randy and believe that as my two part is not diy (no calcium chloride) then I need to mix in a 10 to 1 ratio for flake to salts and use this to boost my water changes.

Is there somebody that could just advise me on the metric amount of the two supplements I need to add to 1 litre of RO water. I should then be able to use the calculator to work out the dose. Would I select "Randy's recipes" under the mg column to dose my newly created 10 to 1 solution.

What is also the view of just using flake to adjust mg levels. I wc 15 percent each week.

Any advice would be really appreciated and save me a fair few bucks each month.

To make my diy magnesium additive in 1 L instead of one gallon, use 0.26 times as much of each part. If you are going by volume instead of mass, 1 cup = 237 mL.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back