rasta growth rate?

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some rastas almost 2 months ago and they look great but have not grown at all. Is this normal? What is your growth rate like? Should I try to spot feed them and if so what should I feed? Thanks in advance.

Ricky,

damac20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am tagging along on this one. I am assuming they are slow growers hence the $50 per polyp price tag.

firsttime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get about 1-2 polyps in 1.5 months. I dont think you need to feed it. They have been medium to slow growers for me. Slowest being my PPEs.

kev2me

Zoaddiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got 2 polyps a little over a year ago and only until recently it had only sprouted 1 polyp in that time frame. But since that newest one, we've had more sprout out. So yeah, they are slow until something triggers more to grow.

I'm not sure what caused it, the tank really hasn't been messed with lately. Maybe that's what it was, just some stability and not being moved around a lot.

ashton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i need to get me some rastas, I've wanted them for awhile but havent come across any that were available yet.

OP
OP
rng_pw

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get about 1-2 polyps in 1.5 months. I dont think you need to feed it. They have been medium to slow growers for me. Slowest being my PPEs.

How many did you start with? I only have 2 polyps so Im assuming the more that you have the quicker they grow. how long did it take for them to first take off? Thanks

Ricky,

bigsink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with 2 polyps and am up to around 20 in 12 months. However,every time I frag a polyp, it whithers and dies.

OP
OP
rng_pw

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got 2 polyps a little over a year ago and only until recently it had only sprouted 1 polyp in that time frame. But since that newest one, we've had more sprout out. So yeah, they are slow until something triggers more to grow.

I'm not sure what caused it, the tank really hasn't been messed with lately. Maybe that's what it was, just some stability and not being moved around a lot.

Thanks for the info Kev. I hope mine grow a little faster than that:squigglemouth:. Once they started did they just keep on going for you?

Ricky,

OP
OP
rng_pw

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with 2 polyps and am up to around 20 in 12 months. However,every time I frag a polyp, it whithers and dies.

the frag dies or the colony starts to die off? What are your fragging methods, because i do intend on fragging these when the time comes. Thanks for sharing

Ricky,

amore169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some Rastas from THEBEAUT like 6-7 months ago I started with 2-3 polyps and now i have like more than 25 they are very good growers for me.

OP
OP
rng_pw

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some Rastas from THEBEAUT like 6-7 months ago I started with 2-3 polyps and now i have like more than 25 they are very good growers for me.
wow that is awesome. What is your secret? Do you have them in high light or low light? High flow or low flow? Do you spot feed. Or did you just get lucky:bigsmile:? Thanks

Ricky,

amore169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest i think i got lucky i have them on the sand i run 250 20K and no i dont spot feed but i feed very heavy, i got 2 polyps of the Purple Hornets like 2 months ago and now i have 9 that i can count.

OP
OP
rng_pw

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest i think i got lucky i have them on the sand i run 250 20K and no i dont spot feed but i feed very heavy, i got 2 polyps of the Purple Hornets like 2 months ago and now i have 9 that i can count.

that is awesome. I hope that mine take off soon

Ricky,

kev2me

Zoaddiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info Kev. I hope mine grow a little faster than that:squigglemouth:. Once they started did they just keep on going for you?

Ricky,

I think we're up to 8 now, I'll have to double check when I got home. But yeah, they definitely seem to be growing faster now.

firsttime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many did you start with? I only have 2 polyps so Im assuming the more that you have the quicker they grow. how long did it take for them to first take off? Thanks

Ricky,

Thats true the more you have, the faster they spread and grow. I started with 5 polyps.

Last edited:

firsttime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just talking to my wife and she told me that, last time I made two frags of rastas , one of them sprouted a baby in about 1.5 months but the other frag is still at one polyp. 3 months after fragging its still at one polyp. Both frags are under same conditions, So I guess it depends.

Who Dah?

Exoticfrags.us
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, they take quite a while to establish, then are good growers.

Very finicky fraggers though. I don't often loose polyps on a clean cut, but a messy fragging has always resulted in that polyps demise. Additionally, they take a while to recoup from fragging. Even if I frag them off a rock-only situation (where I am only fragging rock/rubble, no flesh), they take longer to recoup then most.

HTH!

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got my rasta 2 months ago and i only got 1 baby so far. plus it took a long time for it to fully open, like weeks. in my tank i am a heavy feeder and i think zoas like a dirty tank. ever since i started adding oyster eggs to the feeding 3x a week, mine started taking off. i feed mysis and cyclops every day.candy apple reds popped out 4 heads and RH, PH, BH each popped out a head and most of the other single polyps i bought almost 2 months ago.

i finally got a pick of it fully open after a month of having it. it only would open 80%, same with my PH and BH. my RH always stays open.

IMG_1724.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 69 46.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back