RBTA lighting

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a red bubble tip anemone yesterday. I was not looking for one but a lfs had a little one for $40 and I couldn't help myself. My question is how much light do they like/can they take? I have tanks that are very low to very high. If type of light helps. I have PC,T5,HOT5,T12VHO,250wHalides, And soon 400w Halides. Just need to know where the little guy would be happiest.

Zoanuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Most cases the tollerate hight lighting. Most of the lighting you have listed are acceptable but the optimal lighting will be T5, MH, LED.

Znut Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Rose that loves MH. I think thats the best lighting for most Anemones. I've had mine for over 4 yrs now.

stinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had tried RBTA twice. Both cases, they moved under a rock, and wasted away. I think it is because of my high water flow, and high lighting (MH 250W). I think that when it was in the LFS, it had low flow and low light. So, it did not adjust well to the sudden increase in light and flow.

My advice is to increase light and flow slowly.

Eklikewhoa

Fish Thumper!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will move to where they are comfortable and move around again when they are ready to venture out.

I cut my flow down by half and light photo-period to half while my nems were roaming though to help them acclimate to the tank better.

OP
OP
coral88

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hem in my sps tank in a cup with a few pieces of rubble in it. He seem happy. The cup is off to the side so he is not getting blasted with light. He is in the cup to avoid the excess flow in the tank and should make it easer to move him when I have a permanent home for him. I’ll try to get a pic of him up this week.

If people have pics of their RBTA in different lighting it would be nice to see if they have different appearances under more or less light. I think the bubble tips form under higher light. The pics I’ve seen and the anemones at the lfs in low light don’t have the bubble tips and neither did mine until I moved it to the tank with the halides.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My rose moved all the way to the top of the tank like 12" under a 250w MH. I took him out for fear of him killing corals. He was directly on top of sps, and touched allot has he moved but never hurt anything.

Eklikewhoa

Fish Thumper!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tip shape is random and nothing proven about why or what.

All of mine are about 12" under 250wMH right now and before they were about 6" below 2x70wMH. Mine has always been in a bit of medium-high low and never really bothered them much.

Here's mine under 2x70w with a koralia nano and mj900 return pump in a NC12g......when it really opens up it's tentacles bash against both sides of the tank.(this was only for a few months/half year while their dedicated tank stabilized.

IMG_5164.jpg

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.7%
Back