Ready to quit

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs said it keeps it's salinity at .020-.021. Mine was at .028. I did a mini water chNge and brought the level down to .024 last night. Today is was back up to .26. I just removed some water and added fresh to being it down. I will check salinity in a couple hours to see where it's at. My clown is still alive but struggling. Don't know why, but I have a hunch it's to shock of the salinity. I hope that's it. Here is the clown now:

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1392243460.501588.jpg

Hanging out at bottom of tank

1.024 is just fine... As is 1.026... Just need to acclimate them well.

Slow down and let the tank settle. Patience is key so please slow down and learn as you go. Too many rush and leave the hobbybecause of issues...

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frequent water changes seem to make everything better.. unless its algae. Keep your head up. Everyone has been at the breaking point and wanting to quit at some point. As others have said, SG should be 1.023-1.026. Personally, I like mine at 1.026 because of my hard corals. I'd vacuum your sand with every water change too. A lot of junk can leach from sand beds if not cleaned and taken care of, even in a shallow bed. Those sponges are a good sign tho. They are beneficial to your tank and a good sign that stuff can survive. Take things slow. In my opinion, a water change every week is a must.

Reef.ductionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not read the entire thread but it sounds like too much carbon dioxide in the tank water. The first few months the balance of micro aquatic life is being established. This is the most volatile time because bacteria colonize, amphipods colonize, copods colonize in sync with the nutrient loads present. Nutrients are: fish excrement, uneaten fish foods, as well as organisms on the live rock dying or producing waste. So for the first few months its (safe) for beginners to let these initial imbalances correct themselves. The first few months are also a time when, as a result of these bacterial explosions, or imbalances, the newer aquariums go through different stages of algae growth:ie Diatom algae, or green algae. Best to add one hardy fish and make certain there is enough water flow near sand surface and water surface. Stable salinity, ph, temperature are most critical for fowlr

Anyways that is some of what I have learned, best of luck and dont give up you can do it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I need to just keep one fish and see what happens. One day at a time with my remaining clown. He is still kicking. Thanks everyone and especially California for your input. Going to check all possibilities before breaking it down and starting over.

Since I do have some phosphates, and subsequent algae growth ( though not horrible) what can I do to reduce phosphates?

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I need to just keep one fish and see what happens. One day at a time with my remaining clown. He is still kicking. Thanks everyone and especially California for your input. Going to check all possibilities before breaking it down and starting over.

Since I do have some phosphates, and subsequent algae growth ( though not horrible) what can I do to reduce phosphates?

Water changes. With not a very big tank, doing very frequent, like twice a week, 10%-12%, will keep No3 and Po4 at zero or very near close to zero. Once params are stable, go back to regular weekly water changes. If you don't have time for that, look into a reactor and get some GFO. Or carbon dosing. But literally, water changes are gods gift.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reef.ductionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Also :
Common sources of phosphate introduction to a tank are:

1. Water
2. Fish foods
3. Some filter carbons
4. Some aquarium products: ie:additives/conditioners...be sure the labels specifically state No Phosphates
Be careful when using certain quick fix priducts/ before buying research on internet thoroughly first what common issues other aquaridts have had with them.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use GFO and love it

OP
OP
M

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read up yesterday. The symptoms on the clowns seemed like brook for sure. The blemish on the side (both fish), turned into a larger mark and then a white film looked like it spread to the entire side. Last night the clown struggles to swim, and could not use that fin at all. Unfortunately, lost the second clown this morning. I am pretty sure it was brook

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I read up yesterday. The symptoms on the clowns seemed like brook for sure. The blemish on the side (both fish), turned into a larger mark and then a white film looked like it spread to the entire side. Last night the clown struggles to swim, and could not use that fin at all. Unfortunately, lost the second clown this morning. I am pretty sure it was brook

Dang. That sucks. Sorry, bud.

kurtyboh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this, always pains me to see a lost fish. Do you have a tank you can run as a qt? If it truly was brook you need to leave your tank empty for a min of 4 weeks as the free swimming protazoans are still alive and ready to move on to the next addition. if you have a qt it would allow time for your dt to cool off and have some healthy fish for when your dt is safe once again. I qt everything for 6 weeks, if there is anything amiss it may take longer, but I know that my dt is safe and I can medicate in the qt without the danger of killing off my beneficial bacteria.
I would also suggest a much slower acclimation period, and changing the sg in your tank so quickly is not advisable either; shouldn't go more than 1 in a day.
I wish you luck in this endeavor, and since brook can't attach to inverts, you can certainly add more or just watch the ones you currently have. Just make sure to feed the bb so its still alive when you add fish again.

ReeferBen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a bad LFS, I have a few in my area that you learn to stay away from.

I may have missed this but how are you testing everything, what brand test kits, and especially how are you testing SG?

ETORRES477

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud, Ive been reading some of the comments on here, and 99% of them are positive. Don't pay attention to the negative ones one here, I wont quote or mention them by name because they don't deserve to be mentioned. Don't give up because you sound committed, and your reaching out to this community doesn't take away from your commitment, if anything it is a testament to how much you care about your livestock. I am not new to marine husbandry but I am new to reefing, so I came here to get good advice from people with experience in this area. That's what this site is all about, the reefing community coming together to help out beginners, share ideas, contribute new knowledge, and connect with people who share this fantastic interest. I have seen beginners and veteran reefers alike reach out to ask for help in finding solutions to whatever issues they have, so don't be discouraged by a few bad apples because for every jerk on here who acts like the came out of their mothers womb knowing everything about reefing there are 10 other experienced hobbyist who know what its like to start in this interest and are willing to offer whatever advice they have at their disposal. A wise man once said the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked. So keep your head up and keep reefing brother!

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ +1 to Etorres. Don't let people's arrogance in this hobby get under your skin. But this forum is, for the most part, full of helpful people. Just remember, we all have to be new at some point. Also, research anything and everything. I've been Reefing for 8 years and seems like weekly I learn something new.

Intricateart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one should be ashamed to ask advice on here,that's the beauty of the forum, to share our knowledge and experiences. I personally enjoy finally being able to share everything I have learned to people starting out in this hobby.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back