Really want to add some macro algae

NakiFantaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title pretty much says it all... lol

With the all in one Nuvo 20 gallon I have I don't utilize a sump, I really don't even have the room for one if I wanted anyways. Anyways - I lack the option of having a fuge. I have looked at some of the CPR HOB models but I'm just not sold on having another 1-2 gallons of water hanging off the back of my tank above all my power components.
I want to be able to have the benefit from some macro algae in my tank though and I seem to remember seeing people turn their nuvo caddys into little custom refugiums.
Is there anyway I could just throw some cheato in one of my compartments in the back and put a small light on it? If so what kind of lighting would I need to keep the algae thriving?

Thanks!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with the Nuvo 20, however most AIO units I've seen are too small to turn the filter section into a fuge.
You could try something like dragons breathe, halimeda or caulerpa in the display. Each one has their ups and downs. It really depends on what you're wanting the algae to do for you.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added this to my BC29, you can find info on it here:

IMG_20170219_072508.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hasn't been running long enough for a real report but the glass is staying cleaner, and I thought was water was clear before-now it looks even clearer. This really is the best option for an AIO nano. I had everything laying around except the light, and I bought the one from MD. It is a nice light, the perfect spectrum for macro. You could use a less expensive reactor, like the one from two little fishes; and ebay does have the flex leds.

johnnyk731

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4079.JPG
prior to installing
IMG_4088.JPG
first day
IMG_4254.JPG
today exactly one month of running. Grows chateo like a weed. Best 250 bucks I spent

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a fuge in the back of my aio. Used an inTank media basket and jbj nano glo. Growing chaeto just fine.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title pretty much says it all... lol

With the all in one Nuvo 20 gallon I have I don't utilize a sump, I really don't even have the room for one if I wanted anyways. Anyways - I lack the option of having a fuge. I have looked at some of the CPR HOB models but I'm just not sold on having another 1-2 gallons of water hanging off the back of my tank above all my power components.
I want to be able to have the benefit from some macro algae in my tank though and I seem to remember seeing people turn their nuvo caddys into little custom refugiums.
Is there anyway I could just throw some cheato in one of my compartments in the back and put a small light on it? If so what kind of lighting would I need to keep the algae thriving?

Thanks!
Yes.

I would also consider some kind of in tank refugium like a chaeto sandwich on this site or even just a egg crate partition.

What I did on my 55g was just move rock forward and install an egg crate 3" in front of the back glass. Then added 2 4' 2 tube utility/shop light (~8 each +$7 for 2 6500k tubes). macros took off in that area, tangs live grazing on the macro that poked through, smaller fish went through the egg crate to eat pods. Plus nitrates dropped to unmeasureable in 3 weeks and phosphates a few month later. Tank ran for 8 years with no water changes and a heavy bioload.

my .02

OP
OP
NakiFantaki

NakiFantaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any type of light that I could totally submerge underwear? I really don't have the room to move the tank and cut back the acrylic [emoji53]

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any type of light that I could totally submerge underwear? I really don't have the room to move the tank and cut back the acrylic [emoji53]
I've tried the cheap ebay submersible led light with the multi-colored LEDS. The controller for that fried in a week. It actually scared the crap out of me because it started smoking. Aside from that, when it did work, my chaeto died.
ledlight1.jpg 20161102_193227.jpg 20161102_193251.jpg 20161102_193337.jpg 20161102_193414.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back