reator stand

PGriff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thought I'd post my newly built reactors and stand.

If people are interested I can give out details, but it's pretty simple.

(left to right)
Cotton balls to filter the water
GFO to remove phosphates
Carbon to polish the water
Bio Pellets

3" top cap, bottom cap, adaptor, hose and sharkbite connector. All from Lowes.
clear Acrylic. https://www.estreetplastics.com/Plexiglass-Sheets-Clear-s/21.htm

If you have questions or comment feel free to share.

1561045424892.JPEG

scv_15610462885004951256545454828336.jpg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Job! You've obviously put some work into the product!

My only suggestions -

1. skip the cotton balls. They will need to be replaced on an almost daily basis to keep them from become fouled with detritus and then causing nutrient spikes (Nitrate and Phosphate) is it decays - no different from using filter socks or a canister filter.

2. GFO should only be used if needed. The goal with PO4 IS NOT a reading of zero. All living creatures require some PO4 for basic metabolic needs.

3. Carbon - I run it 24/7/365 and have for over 30 years now. Some will suggest that it can contribute to Hole-in-the-head (lateral line disease) especially with tangs. I've never had an issue that way and pretty much always have a tang in my system.

4. Biopellets - never really saw the need, especially if you have sufficient live rock somewhere in the system.

caas1496

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great design! What are the pieces you used for the top caps? I would like to build something like this myself.

OP
OP
PGriff

PGriff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Job! You've obviously put some work into the product!

My only suggestions -

1. skip the cotton balls. They will need to be replaced on an almost daily basis to keep them from become fouled with detritus and then causing nutrient spikes (Nitrate and Phosphate) is it decays - no different from using filter socks or a canister filter.

2. GFO should only be used if needed. The goal with PO4 IS NOT a reading of zero. All living creatures require some PO4 for basic metabolic needs.

3. Carbon - I run it 24/7/365 and have for over 30 years now. Some will suggest that it can contribute to Hole-in-the-head (lateral line disease) especially with tangs. I've never had an issue that way and pretty much always have a tang in my system.

4. Biopellets - never really saw the need, especially if you have sufficient live rock somewhere in the system.

Yeah, I'm kinda crazy when I start a project. lol I just hooked it up outside this morning running RO/DI water threw it testing for leaks and looking online on how to make a DIY skimmer. lol Been running for about 6 hrs. now and so far so good. I hear what you're saying about the cotton. I also have some of that white/blue filter screen. Do you think that would be better? I wanted some sort of mechanical filter in there to keep bigger particles out of it.

OP
OP
PGriff

PGriff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great design! What are the pieces you used for the top caps? I would like to build something like this myself.

Go into lowes or Home Depot/PVC department. If I recall, lowes calls that top an adapter. It's threaded on one side slip on the other. The bottoms are just called caps. Then the screw on lids. I used 3" diameter end caps and 3" acrylic pipe at about 10" long. They hold roughly just under a half gallon each. I haven't actually measured the water level but when I filled it today to do a test, I filled a 5 Gal bucket and it took about half of that once it was flowing.

SideNote: When I made mine the acrylic fit snug into the endcaps. I used a Dremel to open it up a bit to give it a tight fit. I also used PVC glue, It had a couple of small leaks so i used a little bead of silicone at the top of the caps against the acrylic. Worked fine.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is nice, and I like the fittings. I recently plumbed my vertex reactor and thought about putting it outside the sump for more room. But I have no confidence it will not eventually leak. Your looks solid.

Only question I would have is flow rate. Would the 1/4 pex I think u used be enough flow, and enough for multiple reactiors in the chain? Just wondering, really like the set up.

OP
OP
PGriff

PGriff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is nice, and I like the fittings. I recently plumbed my vertex reactor and thought about putting it outside the sump for more room. But I have no confidence it will not eventually leak. Your looks solid.

Only question I would have is flow rate. Would the 1/4 pex I think u used be enough flow, and enough for multiple reactiors in the chain? Just wondering, really like the set up.

I can't really say how well it's going to work because I have only tested this afternoon. I actually set it up with 3/8 line. Right off the pump is a ball valve I have choked down. I'd guess it's running a Gal and a half or so right now. I really don't want it churning the carbon too much. I'll probably get it set in the next few days. I am also looking for a good DIY skimmer. I may hold off hooking up the reactors until I get the skimmer done. reason being I may use the same water pump and splice into it. I'm working out the details now. I'll try to post a couple of pics. when it's running.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, definitely something I could see in a cabinet as part of the system. And changing media looks really simple.

Follow

Back