Recommended sizes for mix reef tanks, plumbing and lights

Chris Nias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello...
I want custom build mix reef tank with 60" long, 30" wide.
What best height fot this? 20", 22" or 24"?
How big is the pump for this size? And how big is the pipe size for the drain from the overflow box?
For lights, is it enough to use the xr15 g5, or should it be xr30g5? and how many units is it used?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more height, the more diverse you can make your mixed reef. I have a 120g mixed reef, and it's 4 x 2 x 2. I'm running 4 XR15 G5 Pro's.

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60x26x24 so pretty close. For pumps I have 2 on the overflow side putting out about 2500GPH each. Also my return shoots out of that side rated for 2100 GPH but only on 6 of 10 speed. On the opposite side I put a jebao gyre rated at 4500GPH at max speed.

The overflow pipes I can't remember the exact size but I think they are in between 1" - 1 1/2".

Don't have experience with the XRs.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello...
I want custom build mix reef tank with 60" long, 30" wide.
What best height fot this? 20", 22" or 24"?
How big is the pump for this size? And how big is the pipe size for the drain from the overflow box?
For lights, is it enough to use the xr15 g5, or should it be xr30g5? and how many units is it used?
Check out glasscages.com for the tank. Will have all of the different measurements you're asking about. I'm a kessil guy so I think 3 ap9x would be nicer.

bmeily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be plenty of advice coming from people way more experienced than myself. I also decided on a 60 inch also for my next build, which gives lots of space underneath for good size sump and electric cabinet if you want. I wanted 30 wide too but the room just isn’t right for it. Overflow depends on internal or external and what holes they already drill for them. Usually 2 or 3 1 inch or 1-1/4 drain piping and 2 1 inch return piping. 1 or 2 Return pumps in the 2k-3k area for a 2-5x turn over. Don’t forget to count all the extra bends specially if running UV (UV has flow requirements) and/or chiller. Tank flow I’m planning on 4 MP40s or 2 40s and 2 gyres. You maybe could do 2 but they would have to be run 100% I would think which is louder. Vortechs are new to me though. I would think for a mixed tank 4 xr15 G5 with supplemental T5 or strip lighting would work but that might be pushing it depend on coral placement. Or could wait and get 2 Neptune Sky lights. Also filtration, like skimmer, fleece roller, and refugium. This is similar to my plan and hasn’t been put into practice yet. I’ll like to see more comments on this. You could find someone else’s tank that you like and copy them. Lots of awesome tanks here.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 26.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back