Recommended Test Kit for beginner with mixed fish and corals tank

prion27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am getting back into the hobby. I set up a small 6gal cube and getting ready to set up a 32 gal cube. The 6 gal has 2 clowns and a red scooter (don't remebmer its real name).I have 3 bubble tip anemones and a couple of soft corals and a couple of deep purple with tiny bright green polyps and is semi soft. What kind of testing kit should I have to test for the right parameters. I have seen some really expensive ones ,but assume that isn't necessary for me. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d get the Hanna DkH alkalinity and the Hanna ULR phosphate for starters …if out of budget get Salifert
….Red Sea for Mg & Ca
don’t discount any other recommendations, Nyos and a few other are equally good

Added Hanna’s Ca is garbage

OP
OP
P

prion27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d get the Hanna DkH alkalinity and the Hanna ULR phosphate for starters …if out of budget get Salifert
….Red Sea for Mg & Ca
don’t discount any other recommendations, Nyos and a few other are equally good

Added Hanna’s Ca is garbage
Funny enough, I picked up for free both of the kits you first mentioned, but the supplies are dated 2021 expiration. What others should I look to acquire and where do people buy the supplies for Hanna testers? I need some I guess.

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny enough, I picked up for free both of the kits you first mentioned, but the supplies are dated 2021 expiration. What others should I look to acquire and where do people buy the supplies for Hanna testers? I need some I guess.

You got free Hanna testers??
The supplies are for purchase any lfs and online. Saltwateraquarium and BRS

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
salifert/aquaforest/nyos are reputable brands that are affordable.

hannah "egg" checkers are pricier and much simpler to use, but reagents could cause variations in readings and to elongate the shelf life of those reagents you are somewhat pressured into refrigerating them. i would categorize the read sea test kit at the same level of hannah. i've used both hannah egg checkers and red sea kit.

Last edited:

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna answer but someone already gave the exact same answer
There is a marine test kit and a Foundation Pro kit I found googling it. Which one would you recommend?
Foundation Pro but isn’t that like $70 …I didn’t check

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically the only test where hanna is going to make a huge difference is with phosphate/phosphorus. Everything else can be done cheaper. I use the red sea pro for alk, calcium, and magnesium. Nyos is my favorite nirate besides the hanna hr. Salifert is the best if you need to save money.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 75.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back