'Recycling' blackwater

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! This is not directly related to reef tanks, but I still thought this would be the best place to get this question answered. Anyhow...I have had a blackwater tank set up for a little over a week. The tank has very soft (TDS less than 25 ppm) water, and I am planning on acquiring that water in the long run by passing dechlorinated tap water (with a TDS of 40 ppm) and rain water (depending on availability) through DI resin.

What I have been wondering is, 'Would it make more sense to make new blackwater by passing old tank water through the resin, instead of the tap water? Or would the tannins rapidly wear out the resin even though they have little impact on TDS?' Thanks :)

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way, I think you will burn through resin in a HURRY. Even @ 40 TDS, your resin will become exhausted after very few gallons have passed through it. For my blackwater system, I just used my RO system without passing the water through the DI. This gave me a TDS of <10. I would then add ROright to add the necessary minerals back in.

There really is no reason to run water through DI resin if the TDS is only 40 to begin with. Just run the water through sediment and carbon filters to remove any chlorine and sediment. I only used RO because I have a LARGE RO system, so I figured I might as well put it to use.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DI resin absorbs anions and cations. Whether or not blackwater particles affect TDS, if they contain any ions, they will affect the Resin. so I can't answer your question directly, only add some info. I wouldn't advise doing it though.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the tannins would very quicky wear out the DI. Im sure it would work but would probably be expensive. If you have rain water, it should already be low PH, or if you have RO water it would work too. They make buffering compounds specifically for your application, when i was doing it i was using ro right by kent, it was decent. A cheaper way to drop ph and buffer would be to use peat moss though

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank needs very low TDS, so just passing it through peat moss (which is not really sustainable anyway) or adding a buffer will not do the job. I wasn't assuming the DI resin would last as long as it would at the end of an RO unit...I was just hoping it would last about 100-150 gallons with the amount of dissolved solids in my tap water. More expensive than an RO unit, but I was hesitant to get a machine that could take 15 to 30 minutes just to produce a single gallon of water, and store bought water would be FAR more expensive for me.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure what organic levels you expect in the water, but I think it unlikely the organics will have nearly as much tendency to deplete the di as the ordinary salts like sodium.

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah...the tank water has a lot of tannins, but the TDS is quite low. The tank's TDS is currently 15 ppm, and my target level is no more than 25 ppm.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah...the tank water has a lot of tannins, but the TDS is quite low. The tank's TDS is currently 15 ppm, and my target level is no more than 25 ppm.

yes, but do you imagine that you might have 100 ppm of tannins? That seems unlikely to me but I do not know what you are doing. The tannin concentration would have to be way, way higher than all other ions for it to deplete a di faster than the other ions, because tannins have a very high molecular weight.

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this helps, here is a picture of the tank;
Blackwater tank 10 29 19.jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back