OP
OP
jpontier212

jpontier212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a link to my "adventures" with my first starfish, documenting the process from receiving him until the present.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/adventures-in-starfishing.255063/

I would recommend that you drip acclimate for at LEAST 5 hours. I am not sure what Griff is referring to above - but, IMHO, you don't need 1/2 gallon of water from the supplier - just the water in the bag the star came in. Pour out enough water so that the starfish is just covered. Then drip in your tank water until that volume doubles. Then remove 1/2 the water so you are back to that starting level and repeat for at least 5 hours. I used a plastic drip acclimator - there's info and a link in my thread. Makes it much easier. Plus it acclimates directly in your display tank, in the bag, so you get direct temp and water acclimation at the same time. (As a side note, many go direct to the DT and not QT with stars as you risk having to acclimate the star twice. Twice as much chance to kill it. And stars can't carry ich, etc - so minimal chance of bringing that in).

I would strongly recommend NOT doing the tupperware step listed above. While the star won't bring in ich, etc - the water could. Just lift the star out of the bag after the 5 hours and place directly in tank. The "never expose to air" is a myth. It won't hurt to be exposed for a moment. Main thing is move it quick so there is no temperature effect of being in the cooler air. There IS always a chance that what little water is on the surface of the star could bring ich in. So weigh the risk accordingly. But if you place a larger container of water into your tank, no mater how many times you acclimated it / diluted it, it's still partially the supplier's water and more of a chance to bring in trouble.

I've not heard of the "mold to the shape of the LR" theory before. I placed mine on the sand bed and he crawled up on the glass and stayed there for 2 weeks before finally going onto the LR.

It's been 4 months and he's still doing well.
That's awesome. Thank you Steve. I will save this information. It has been extremely helpful. But i have a question, is this process standard for all stars? Or just the fromias and actinias?

Steve Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is my understanding the most stars have these tight acclimation issues - but let me caveat that I am not an expert (although I researched for close to a month before getting my sea star). Even if I wasn't sure on a specific type, I don't see how it could hurt a star to do the longer, slower acclimation than you typically do with fish. I've only had this one star. BUT - he's lived for 4 months now and from what I read in this forum and other sources that's a pretty good success. A large percentage die in that first week. Good luck and let me know if I can help!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's dying, it's a Red Fromia.

The mouth is located ventral, not dorsal. The stomach would only be visible dorsally if the tissue had eroded and decayed which would be an ominous sign.

If your display water is close to NSW values a slow acclimation over 2 hour is more than sufficient. I usually just do an hour and have yet to lose a Formia.

You have to start with a healthy specimen or it a moot point.

Steve Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy just hit his 4 month mark and going strong.
IMG_1477668858.187976.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back