Red Goniopora thrives, Green Goni from RAP seems to be diminishing

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a picture

Not sure what the left Goni is - maybe a Bernard?

The polyps are never too far from the base but it has grown by probably 3-4x since I got it as a drag

The green Goni on the right came from RAP in Dallas and as you can see it really doesn’t look too good

I feed them reef roids once every couple week or two

Params are ~20 Nitrate, .04 Phosphate, 440 calcium , 1340 mag, 8-8.5 dkh. Salinity 1.025 and temp 77.5

IMG_1443.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colors are an indicator they might have different environmental requirements. Keep in mid it can take a coral colony weeks to months to even years to acclimate to a new system. You didn't mention how long you've had the green one but give it a few weeks before moving it around. Evreytime a coral is moved it has to adjust it's photobiology so moving them every few days or week might be an additional source of stress slowing it's acclimation.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lots of gonis. Some thrive and some whither. I think there is a lot we still don’t understand, and different varieties have different requirements. In general best option is to get one that has been in aquaculture for a long time.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good success with different color gonis but my LFS says the green ones are the most difficult to sustain.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 177 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back