Red Sea dosing calculator?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought some Red Sea Products (magnesium, Calcium, and Alk) and the test kits to go with them. I was told I need to find a reef calculator that has these products as an option to know how much of each to add. My problem? I can't find one that has Red Sea products to choose from! Any ideas where to find one? I've found countless others, but none of them have Red Sea! TIA

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I've read the instructions on the bottles. I've watched the informational video. My problem is, I need to raise my MG from 1050 to 1260. Since those numbers aren't on the bottles, I decided to use numbers that are the same 210ppm away from each other. Problem is, according to the bottles I would have to use almost two whole bottles to raise it the 210 needed. I KNOW that can't be right. Right? It comes out to 420 ml.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to do a water change first, retest, and see where I stand. I hope somebody has some advice for me soon

reef life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your Alk & Calc pars are within norm range before testing Mag.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a buddy come over and explain it all to me. Turns out his test kits at the store were old and mine are new And more accurate than theirs. Also, apparently im not supposed to add all of it at once. Im supposed to spread it out . Now im in the know. Lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, apparently im not supposed to add all of it at once. Im supposed to spread it out . Now im in the know. Lol

Depends on how much you are going to add. You can add, IMO, 25 ppm of calcium in a day. Probably also 1 dKH of alkalinity, if it is low enough to need that. At least with calcium, the concern is not the actual rise in calcium, but the potential for toxic impurities to come with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, originally i was thinking i had to raise my magnesium by 240ppm. So i was looking at the bottle and it would take a little over 2 bottles to do that. I got really worried and confused. But my buddy from the lfs took pitty on me and came over after they closed. He sat with me and basically said the same thing Randy. He showed me how to raise it a little every day and test after each. Also that both our tests before were inaccurate. So i tested this morning and went off that. As it turns out its my calcium that needs to come up and only by 60ppm. I feel much better about it all now. :)

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, originally i was thinking i had to raise my magnesium by 240ppm. So i was looking at the bottle and it would take a little over 2 bottles to do that. I got really worried and confused. But my buddy from the lfs took pitty on me and came over after they closed. He sat with me and basically said the same thing Randy. He showed me how to raise it a little every day and test after each. Also that both our tests before were inaccurate. So i tested this morning and went off that. As it turns out its my calcium that needs to come up and only by 60ppm. I feel much better about it all now. :)
That's what I need. Someone to come over and explain the Red Sea Test kit.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll say this first. You must do it to the tee.
I've found over the years that it's a long test and was giving me high mag readings. My corals stopped cal and alk intake.
So i bought a Salifert mag kit and sure enough it read 100 ppm lower than the RSP kit. So I dosed up my mag to the Salifert kit and my cal and alk coral uptake went back up and I've never used the RSP mag kit again.

Here's the RS video

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have watched the videos, the part that has me stumped is the conversion of regent used to the scale on insert. Anyone want to explain "conversion for dummies"?

You suck the fluild all the way up in the syringe and adjust the plunger down to 10. That's your starting point.
Lets say your get your color change and your plunger is now at 4 in the syringe. 10 - 4 = 6

So you dosed out 6 full levels from the syringe.

Go to the chart and see what 6 ='s to your mag level.

Does that make sense?

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You suck the fluild all the way up in the syringe and adjust the plunger down to 10. That's your starting point.
Lets say your get your color change and your plunger is now at 4 in the syringe. 10 - 4 = 6

So you dosed out 6 full levels from the syringe.

Go to the chart and see what 6 ='s to your mag level.

Does that make sense?
Yes, THANK YOU!!!

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, THANK YOU!!!
Now just to be sure. Using the Red Sea Pro test kit I used the full 1 ml for the calcium test. Does that make my calcium 500? Also had 1.5 ml left for mag test. Is that 1480 mag? What would alk. be if used the full 1.00 ml? Sorry but determined to figure this out.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now just to be sure. Using the Red Sea Pro test kit I used the full 1 ml for the calcium test. Does that make my calcium 500? Also had 1.5 ml left for mag test. Is that 1480 mag? What would alk. be if used the full 1.00 ml? Sorry but determined to figure this out.
Let me check when I get home. I don't have the cards with me. :)

Looks like your alk is threw the roof.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did the alk. test again and stopped when sample first turned light red. That gave a reading of 5 mil. of regent left. This would be alk at 7 correct? Bet you are sorry you ever tried to help but I REALLY appreciate it.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did the alk. test again and stopped when sample first turned light red. That gave a reading of 5 mil. of regent left. This would be alk at 7 correct? Bet you are sorry you ever tried to help but I REALLY appreciate it.
I let you know when I get home. :)

As soon as the alk kit changes to a endpoint color then stop.

It will be blue then you may see it kinda grayish then it hits the color change endpoint.

I've seen the endpoint color be pink, red or a peachy/orange color.

Red Sea needs to update that old alk video :D

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back