Red sea foundation ABC+ dosing

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the love of god, how to mix this....

Red sea foundation elements abc+ skeletal elements.....

Instructions are.... Well i have no clue what to do with it.

Can i mix it with ro water to create solution? If so, how to mix it?

Found some video where 100grams is mixed with 1l of ro water.... But, what is dosing, what is concentations?

Instructions states different mixing ratios for ca,alk and mg, so does it mean you can create three solutions? Just mix in different ratio with ro water?

On container there is table only for calcium, but again, mix it with what ratio?

Also what "foundations abc+ should be added directly to the sump and not dissolved in top up water" mean?

Putting powder directly into sump?

Totaly confused, if someone can help a bit

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the instructions.

Instructions for FoundationTM ABC+
Red Sea’s FoundationTM ABC+ is a uniquely formulated powder supplement containing all of the elements of FoundationTM Calcium+, KH/Alkalinity & Magnesium, plus Red Sea’s Trace-ColorsTM Iodine+ & Potassium+ (Potassium, Boron, Iodine & Bromine) formulated in the exact ratio as found in the coral skeleton. Although there are slight differences between the coral species, the mean ratio between these elements is fairly constant. Supplementing all of these elements in a fixed ratio according to the uptake of calcium will ensure an accurate replenishment based on the metabolic demands of the corals.

FoundationTM ABC+ should be dosed on a daily basis according to a measured uptake of calcium. Over time an imbalance may occur between the foundation elements. If dosing daily, test all
of the Foundation Elements weekly and make adjustments with the individual Calcium+, KH/ Alkalinity & Magnesium supplements.

Note: Only supplement the elements included in Trace-ColorsTM Iodine+ & Potassium+ according to measured uptake of Iodine and Potassium.

FoundationTM ABC+ should be added directly to the sump and not dissolved in top-up water. Do not use FoundationTM ABC+ to make periodic adjustments to the calcium level.
Do not add more than 60g of FoundationTM ABC+ at one time to any system irrespective of size. Larger doses can be added in 10 minute intervals between spoons to allow the powder to dissolve without causing precipitation."

OP
OP
Koh23

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, i figured out that you pit powder directly into sump.

Instructions are not helpfull, but label on container is more user friendly....

I measured ca level - 390. So, if i want to raise it to 450, i need to dose 40g on 100l of water, in my case, 40x5 (500l tank) equals 200grams.....

Is it safe to raise ca levels so rapidly, i remember once upon a time there was a "rule" that max daily increase should be max 100ppm... Is it still ok to use this or?

In my case, i need to increase about 60ppm, with 200grams of powder. Safe, or should be better to divide that to 2 days?

And yes, what is maximum daily dosage of powder?

OP
OP
Koh23

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx, i figured it out....

But.....need help once more.

It seems that my package is expired. Is it safe to use it still, or?

I guess that there's no harm, but, need someone smarter to say final verdict.

Thanx!

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a bucket of this stuff in my garage. I used it previously and seemed to have good success. I’m going to try it again with a new nano I am planning.
Anyone else using it currently? This is the ABC+ powder that you add directly without mixing first.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Koh23

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using it, rather, i used it everyday, keeps my ca and alk rock solid, at 450/9, but, i change some water, less than 10%, and continue dosing, and ca jump to 500, alk to 12, so now i'm not dosing few days....

Only complain is missing information how much powder have impact on alk....

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using it, rather, i used it everyday, keeps my ca and alk rock solid, at 450/9, but, i change some water, less than 10%, and continue dosing, and ca jump to 500, alk to 12, so now i'm not dosing few days....

Only complain is missing information how much powder have impact on alk....
Yes I had found that my levels never quite matched what Red Sea said they should be either. I always used way more alkalinity that calcium.

OP
OP
Koh23

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not problem to dose alk to make it steady, im wondering why everyrhing goes off when wc, fresh salt have lower values than i have in tank...

santosh_kumar_mahato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Red Sea Foundation Abs+ Dosing Do Zoanthids & Mushrooms Any Harm ? I have noticed Zoa's polyps & mushrooms shrinking even after doing less than the recommended dose.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a bucket of this stuff in my garage. I used it previously and seemed to have good success. I’m going to try it again with a new nano I am planning.
Anyone else using it currently? This is the ABC+ powder that you add directly without mixing first.

Ran it for a year (Fall 2016 - Fall 2017) on a Red Sea S-400 (110 gallon) with great results. Had to test my alk a lot since you dose it to your cal’s intake.

Just fired up a nano, and ABC+ while dosing RS Colors C & D are high on my list.

Might try All for Reef, since you can automate the dosing with that product.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Red Sea Foundation Abs+ Dosing Do Zoanthids & Mushrooms Any Harm ? I have noticed Zoa's polyps & mushrooms shrinking even after doing less than the recommended dose.

Should be fine if you slowly dose it in a high flow area.

Last edited:

Delcine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd limit boosts to about 25 ppm per day, not so much because of the calcium itself, but for possible impurities in it.
Here are the instructions.

Instructions for FoundationTM ABC+
Red Sea’s FoundationTM ABC+ is a uniquely formulated powder supplement containing all of the elements of FoundationTM Calcium+, KH/Alkalinity & Magnesium, plus Red Sea’s Trace-ColorsTM Iodine+ & Potassium+ (Potassium, Boron, Iodine & Bromine) formulated in the exact ratio as found in the coral skeleton. Although there are slight differences between the coral species, the mean ratio between these elements is fairly constant. Supplementing all of these elements in a fixed ratio according to the uptake of calcium will ensure an accurate replenishment based on the metabolic demands of the corals.

FoundationTM ABC+ should be dosed on a daily basis according to a measured uptake of calcium. Over time an imbalance may occur between the foundation elements. If dosing daily, test all
of the Foundation Elements weekly and make adjustments with the individual Calcium+, KH/ Alkalinity & Magnesium supplements.

Note: Only supplement the elements included in Trace-ColorsTM Iodine+ & Potassium+ according to measured uptake of Iodine and Potassium.

FoundationTM ABC+ should be added directly to the sump and not dissolved in top-up water. Do not use FoundationTM ABC+ to make periodic adjustments to the calcium level.
Do not add more than 60g of FoundationTM ABC+ at one time to any system irrespective of size. Larger doses can be added in 10 minute intervals between spoons to allow the powder to dissolve without causing precipitation."
This doesn't help me. For a 32 gl tank how much do I put in?

Deblee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you know what to add without knowing what you need?
That is what I would like to know. I am using your two part Randy and I am wondering if Red Sea ABC would help me. But I am scared to start dosing. I live in northern Canada. About 10 hours away from a saltwater store and to get salt shipped to me is crazy. I am hoping to cut back on water changing a little. Is there any test kits that would work for me if I started dosing this. I would like to do ICP test but between the costs of the test and shipping it is expensive. I am attaching my last ICP test because I really need to dose I think. I have a 120g with 30g and it is a SPS tank.

Attachments

• analysis-78183.pdf
    127.8 KB · Views: 37

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 46 82.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back