RED SEA Iron test

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to testing for trace elements, but need/want to learn. I bought a test kit for iron, potas & iodine and also bought those trace elements to dose with. .
WOW the potas and iodine test seem complex and scary, but the iron tested at 0 and according to the instructions it required a 100ml dose of ironto bring in range for my 175TG.. Seems like alot. Is that alot? Lastly; i use marine trace elements as a (all in one) dosing of trace elements. 4 mls a day of that stuff. So why was my iron at 0? Sorry thats several questions all at once

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely only dose one trace element program at a time. By using marine trace elements all in one and Red Sea color program you’re adding too much and could end up with nutrient issues. The iron test can be confusing. Here’s what Red Sea says about in the FAQ section of the test kits.

I have tested for Iron using the Colors test kit but I always get a zero reading, is my test kit faulty?
No, your test kit is not faulty.
The iron cycle is a very complex in the marine environment and it can be found in many chemicals forms, from free ions through inorganic and organic molecules up to large colloids connected to metals. This “soup” of chemicals increases the probability of spontaneous reactions, causing elements to spontaneously switch between phases.
These changes are enhanced and controlled by many factors such as salinity, pH but mostly by changes in alkalinity and the amount of organics and colloids in the water.

In a closed system such as an aquarium where there is often a high organic load and many dissolved organic colloids, the amount of free iron could be very small although the total iron could be very high. Usually this situation will lead to a darkening of the corals due to growth in the zooxanthellae population, and an outbreak of phytoplankton and other macro algae, even though you may measure zero levels of iron. On the other hand, in very pure saltwater most iron will be present as free-iron ions which can be toxic.
After a few minutes from the time you add the iron (Coral Colors C) to the aquarium you will probably measure levels around 0.05 ppm. This may last for several hours before it drops to zero (usually within 24 hrs). The reason for this is that the iron may have precipitated or bonded to organics substances.
The use of the Iron Test within Red Sea’s Coral Colors Test Kit will ensure that Iron is not over- dosed as long as the iron is still in free form. However the test will not detect iron which is not in its free form, and therefore a zero reading should be treated carefully as any overdose will cause stress to corals.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow really. That was very informative. I only bought the sample sampler pack of the RS color pack. its not enough based on the results.si i feel ok about not o d'ing.

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are following their formula for a SPS dominant tank the dosing is only .4ml/100L volume per day. So any supplementation of those four trace items are small. And they even recommend only dose when tests verify need.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to testing for trace elements, but need/want to learn. I bought a test kit for iron, potas & iodine and also bought those trace elements to dose with. .
WOW the potas and iodine test seem complex and scary, but the iron tested at 0 and according to the instructions it required a 100ml dose of ironto bring in range for my 175TG.. Seems like alot. Is that alot? Lastly; i use marine trace elements as a (all in one) dosing of trace elements. 4 mls a day of that stuff. So why was my iron at 0? Sorry thats several questions all at once

I do not consider kit testing with iron to be useful, as no kit can test low enough to target the levels I think are plenty. none can get anywhere near close to NSW levels of iron.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not consider kit testing with iron to be useful, as no kit can test low enough to target the levels I think are plenty. none can get anywhere near close to NSW levels of iron.
Can you explain? I remember an article you wrote that either iron or iodine (don’t remember which) should typically not be dosed. Is it iron? It seems from your comment that dosing iron is dangerous... if I understand you. Is it reasonable to dose according to calcium uptake as Red Sea suggests?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain? I remember an article you wrote that either iron or iodine (don’t remember which) should typically not be dosed. Is it iron? It seems from your comment that dosing iron is dangerous... if I understand you. Is it reasonable to dose according to calcium uptake as Red Sea suggests?

That statement is in relation to iodine. Not that it should not be dosed, but that most folks (myself included) do not find it apparently useful. :)

It's not sensible (IMO) to dose iron in proportion to calcification as I expect the demand mostly comes from other organisms, but dosing some is certainly desirable in many cases and I dosed it. I also think the exact dose is not that important.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red sea iron test kit has a range from 0-.09 ppm, and an accuracy of +/- .05 ppm. Why even make that test kit? That is completely unusable. A reading of .045 could be 0 or max out the test kits high range.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red sea iron test kit has a range from 0-.09 ppm, and an accuracy of +/- .05 ppm. Why even make that test kit? That is completely unusable. A reading of .045 could be 0 or max out the test kits high range.

I agree that I would not use either their kit or their iron level recommendation, but the high dose they recommend is likely not a problem in most cases.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, if you got thst info from BRS, they seem to have it wrong. Red Sea says the range is up to 0.5 ppm.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, if you got thst info from BRS, they seem to have it wrong. Red Sea says the range is up to 0.5 ppm.

I did get it from brs, .5 makes more sense.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 164 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back