Red Sea KH test kit

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using API's kit which was pretty easy to read (pretty steady at 8.5-9), but wanted to try out Red Sea. I'm wondering if anyone has any guidance on using this test, i'm trying to figure out when the correct color change happens. Another question is, do the color ranges in the attached image look like what current user see (The colors look VERY different from Red Sea's instructional video )?

RedSeaKH.jpg

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from
Red Sea to salifert for the alkalinity test and found it to be much easier to read and reliable then Red Sea. It seems as if you don't get the same hue of coloration that they specify in the instructions so you have to kind of guess.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea has a recall an the kh test kit. If u contact them through their website they will give you a new test kit. It should turn red

Wow thanks for letting us know RedSea! I've been wondering about the color change for quite some time. I ordered a refill for my alk then switched to the Hanna dkh meter. I'm gonna contact RedSea and get a new kit.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My KH test colors look about the same. I stop pretty much around the same endpoint as you or at least that last image. They don't really get to the same color levels IME as the cards show but are pretty acurrate when compared to the Hanna checker I got due to the same uncertainties... They're usually +/- .2 dkh.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed them this morning right after I read this thread. They responded already, saying they are sending me a new reagent bottle.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a pH meter, you can judge the color of the endpoint yourself. The endpoint is at pH about 4.2 for normal seawater, but high precision is not required.
Good to know

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually stop at the last image on the right. I don't really care about the absolute value of the dKH as long as it is in range and is repeatable. Big shifts are what I'm trying to prevent.

OP
OP
Zwogle

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Red Seas response:
"The usual end color is going to be an orangish/peach color. if looking at the photo that you sent over the reading would be taken at the 4 photo. The brighter peach color is just the same just over saturated with the reagent. If you would like we can send out a replacement reagent."

Hopefully with the new reagent the color change will be more obvious, between 3,4,5 the color variance is not too distinct.

OP
OP
Zwogle

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Red Seas response:
"The usual end color is going to be an orangish/peach color. if looking at the photo that you sent over the reading would be taken at the 4 photo. The brighter peach color is just the same just over saturated with the reagent. If you would like we can send out a replacement reagent."

Hopefully with the new reagent the color change will be more obvious, between 3,4,5 the color variance is not too distinct.

Well It looks like I won't be getting a replacement, since I'm in AK shipping would be $30...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back