Red sea mature and SPS

jordimex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it true that if you follow the red sea mature program for 21 days you are able to go into sps corals right away?? thank you currently in the process of setting up a frag tank for SPS only

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to say no. Alone those are OK products, but stability and a mature filtration system is probably more important. The key parameters of calcium, alkalinity and nitrates/phosphates is going to be your limiting factors. If you have stable conditions for a few weeks, and maybe some rock from the old system, I would say you'd be good to go though.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen some here on R2r do it successfully. You need to follow it to a T. Requires a lot of testing.

I have also seen a couple crash entirely.

Myself , I've never been into a lab experiment for a reef tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to say no. Alone those are OK products, but stability and a mature filtration system is probably more important. The key parameters of calcium, alkalinity and nitrates/phosphates is going to be your limiting factors. If you have stable conditions for a few weeks, and maybe some rock from the old system, I would say you'd be good to go though.
I do reccomend reading the Red Sea maturation papers. Very easy to follow ,unlike some methods, and gives a bit more of an insight into the chemical processes of maturation as it's needed by our corals. Really interesting stuff.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back