Red Sea Nitrate - NON Pro - How to read?

Dr4gula.f32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65g JBJ. I swap the filter socks 2x a week, 5 gallon water change per week, feed once per day, and have an aquamax 1.5 HOB skimmer that skims brown muck that I empty 2x a week.

Since I started the tank 6 months ago I consistantly read about 32ppm nitrate with this Red Sea test. Today I did a 10 gallon change, and am still reading about the same.

I'm wondering if I'm using the test wrong.

Do I place the vial in the white center, and look through it at an angle to the other colors for a match, or do I place the vial on each color and see at which the vial color is no longer indistinguishable from the card?

Right now, with the vial in the center, it appears I would have between 20 and 50 ppm. It;s slightly darker than 20, but not as dark as 50.

But if I place the vials OVER the color chips, then 5ppm seems like the correct choice.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vial of tested, coloured water goes in the centre of the disc (on a white background) and the vial of untested tank water goes on the edge. Looking from the top (lids off) you rotate the disc until the colours appear to match or as close as possible. Carrying out the comparison under a strong white light will help.

OP
OP
D

Dr4gula.f32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vial of tested, coloured water goes in the centre of the disc (on a white background) and the vial of untested tank water goes on the edge. Looking from the top (lids off) you rotate the disc until the colours appear to match or as close as possible. Carrying out the comparison under a strong white light will help.
That is the Pro kit. I specifically asked about the non pro kit.

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

OP
OP
D

Dr4gula.f32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't asking for a link to buy it

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65g JBJ. I swap the filter socks 2x a week, 5 gallon water change per week, feed once per day, and have an aquamax 1.5 HOB skimmer that skims brown muck that I empty 2x a week.

Since I started the tank 6 months ago I consistantly read about 32ppm nitrate with this Red Sea test. Today I did a 10 gallon change, and am still reading about the same.

I'm wondering if I'm using the test wrong.

Do I place the vial in the white center, and look through it at an angle to the other colors for a match, or do I place the vial on each color and see at which the vial color is no longer indistinguishable from the card?

Right now, with the vial in the center, it appears I would have between 20 and 50 ppm. It;s slightly darker than 20, but not as dark as 50.

But if I place the vials OVER the color chips, then 5ppm seems like the correct choice.

Look down through the test vial on a white background against colors on the card not seen through the vial at all.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back