Red Sea Nitrate pro expiration date

lumpadelic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just upgraded my nitrate test kit (from Amazon) to the red sea pro and it expires in august of this year. It was only $35, which is a drop in the bucket in this hobby, but I feel like I should expect at least a year of use out of a decent test kit. So what do I do? Complain and return, or grin and bare it? Also how definite are these “expirations”? I’ve heard that some people use their chemicals well past their expirations with great succes.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Complain and return. Amazon has been dropping the ball with test kits as they come in damaged, so they haven't had a lot of sales for them and they are just sitting on the shelf. You should get a year and a half out of a new kit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I do not know how far into the future the expiration date is set on this kit when it is first manufactured, but nitrate kits are more prone to issues with age than are others, such as alk kits.

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made it my practice to always ask what the expiration date is these kits and when purchasing the reagents for them. Saltwateraquarium.com and BRS normally have expiration dates way into the future.

OP
OP
lumpadelic

lumpadelic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made it my practice to always ask what the expiration date is these kits and when purchasing the reagents for them. Saltwateraquarium.com and BRS normally have expiration dates way into the future.
Yeah, in retrospect I should have just ordered it from BRS. I got lured in by the free next day shipping. Live and learn I guess.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back