Red Sea pro alk test out

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Red Sea pro and standard test kits but after doing a comparison on them found that the pro was 1 dkh lower than the standard. I went out and bought a nyos alk test kit and that matched with the Red Sea standard kit. All are within the expiry date. Has anyone else found this with the Red Sea kits and what would the cause be?

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehhhhh, it's the same with thermometers, I have 9 and not a single one of those matches temp with another unless you calibrate with laboratory grade stuff (which no one does) . As long as you stick to one and use that as your base, testing at 8dkh (actually 9) isn't the end of the world. Corals are happy, fish are eating snails are doing..... snail stuff, all is well no need to get hung up on extreme accuracy IMHO.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red sea pro is within .2 dkh of a Hanna ALK checker. My 6 month expired pro reagent us within .2 dkh of the fresh bottle. Probably user error on that amount.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Red Sea pro and standard test kits but after doing a comparison on them found that the pro was 1 dkh lower than the standard. I went out and bought a nyos alk test kit and that matched with the Red Sea standard kit. All are within the expiry date. Has anyone else found this with the Red Sea kits and what would the cause be?
How do you know the nyos and red sea standard are both inaccurate and the pro is in fact correct? you don't, these are hobby grade test kits, so unless you are willing to spend £100's and £1000's on lab grade test kits then nothing is going to be accurate, its just a guide, so stick to one and use that, it really doesn't matter if its .5 or 1 dkh lower, as long as its consistent.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure to verify a new reagent vs the old when it comes time to use a new bottle. Otherwise it could cause you to make a drastic change.

AquaPhilNJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can purchase a calibration solution such as "(Fauna Marin) SALTWATER MULTI REFERENCE SOLUTION" @ Bulk Reef Supply.

The original Red Sea ALK test kit is 1 drop = 1 dkh, so feel it is less accurate. I haven't used Nysos ALK test kit. It may be confusing but the very first drop that turns the liquid blue is counted toward the total Trident used. Same in the Pro test kit. Red Sea has an official youtube video explaining each step.

I've used Hanna, Red Sea Pro and KH Director and I feel they were in agreement, maybe it was within 0.5 dkh.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%

Back