Red Sea Reefer 350 (original), two tangs?

DCJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hallo forum.

I'm sitting across from the Red Sea Reefer 350 in my living room, rock for it is going to be going through a bleach cure tomorrow or the next day, and I'm STILL planning fish.

The RSR350 is 4ft long, 73 gallon display vol, 91 gallon total system volume
I have a Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmer, will be setting up a refugium.

I'm planning on a sand bed and corals (probably softy/LPS heavy, might try some SPS depending on how I feel)

I'm currently thinking a couple clownfish, a blenny (lawnmower, tail spot, bicolour?), maybe a goby (I have two other reef tanks so I might just stick to gobies in those), royal gramma, a couple of bangaii cardinals, and some wrasse (I haven't even started whittling down the wrasse list yet)

That's 5/6 or 7 fish + however many wrasse.

I'm looking at a scarlet/flame hawkfish, side-eyeing one of the small angelfish, with some uncertainty because of their coral nipping.

But my question is in regards to a tang.

I'm looking at the small bristletooths. bristleteeth? kole, silverspot, white tail or tomini?

I know there's a lot of controversy over tangs and tank sizes, but I'm comfortable with a tang of that size being happy in the RSR350.

My question is, will this tank with the above projected stocking, support two of those tangs? eg, a tomini AND a kole, kole AND a white tail. I've read that they can be aggressive to conspecifics and similar shapes, but I've also read that they're not as bad as some of the other tangs, and that there are measures you can take to reduce aggression between them.

Appreciate any input, mostly on the tangs, but if you have thoughts on the rest of the stocking I'd be happy to hear them.

Also, if anyone has the RSR350 (original), what you keep in it? I've Googled, but it was unfruitful.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression the 350 was 47" in length. You will get a lot of mixed reviews at this length here, but ideally 4ft is the minimum swim length people land on. Depending on the tang - you would likely be fine with a Bristletooth

OP
OP
DCJ

DCJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression the 350 was 47" in length. You will get a lot of mixed reviews at this length here, but ideally 4ft is the minimum swim length people land on. Depending on the tang - you would likely be fine with a Bristletooth
I think it is (120cm, the conversion loses an inch?) but I've seen them treated as a 4ft tank.

I think I'm leaning to a single bristletooth rather than two.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it :)

OP
OP
DCJ

DCJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nereefpat thank you for your advice, and for taking the time to comment :)

I think I'm going to leave it at one tang.

R2R, I've been mulling!

My thinking stocking list at the moment is:
- pair of clownfish
- pair of bangaii cardinals
- bristletooth tang
- royal gramma
- a goby on the larger side
- midas blenny
- flame hawkfish
- 2 paracheilinus 'flasher' wrasse
- 1 cirrhilabrus 'fairy' wrasse

and maybe a dwarf angelfish. Would I like one? Yes. Am I worried about it eating corals? Also yes.

Is that too many fish? From what I've SEEN it's not an insane bioload, maybe on the higher side of doable? I've heard 12/13 fish average in the RSR 350, and that's 11, maybe 12 if I do the dwarf angel.

Thank you for bearing with me forum!

leechlightning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a pretty fresh reefer350g2, and just added my tangs recently, sailfin, hippo and the stunning! whitetail bristletooth, so far they are getting along great, they love the caves.

Yes I've seen all the tank size stuff with the tangs, they are all small currently and if I really enjoy this new hobby, my tank spot would fit a 6' 200 gallon really nice and will upgrade when the time comes

Random side note, idk if its there personality or mine is special, but tank has 5 caves and half the nights my hippo just beds the sand in the corner of the tank.

2 clowns, 3 tangs, and saphire damsel and 1 more damsel(this guy will leave if he becomes a problem)

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a pretty fresh reefer350g2, and just added my tangs recently, sailfin, hippo and the stunning! whitetail bristletooth, so far they are getting along great, they love the caves.

Yes I've seen all the tank size stuff with the tangs, they are all small currently and if I really enjoy this new hobby, my tank spot would fit a 6' 200 gallon really nice and will upgrade when the time comes

Random side note, idk if its there personality or mine is special, but tank has 5 caves and half the nights my hippo just beds the sand in the corner of the tank.

2 clowns, 3 tangs, and saphire damsel and 1 more damsel(this guy will leave if he becomes a problem)
That's ridiculously to small for those fish

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hallo forum.

I'm sitting across from the Red Sea Reefer 350 in my living room, rock for it is going to be going through a bleach cure tomorrow or the next day, and I'm STILL planning fish.

The RSR350 is 4ft long, 73 gallon display vol, 91 gallon total system volume
I have a Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmer, will be setting up a refugium.

I'm planning on a sand bed and corals (probably softy/LPS heavy, might try some SPS depending on how I feel)

I'm currently thinking a couple clownfish, a blenny (lawnmower, tail spot, bicolour?), maybe a goby (I have two other reef tanks so I might just stick to gobies in those), royal gramma, a couple of bangaii cardinals, and some wrasse (I haven't even started whittling down the wrasse list yet)

That's 5/6 or 7 fish + however many wrasse.

I'm looking at a scarlet/flame hawkfish, side-eyeing one of the small angelfish, with some uncertainty because of their coral nipping.

But my question is in regards to a tang.

I'm looking at the small bristletooths. bristleteeth? kole, silverspot, white tail or tomini?

I know there's a lot of controversy over tangs and tank sizes, but I'm comfortable with a tang of that size being happy in the RSR350.

My question is, will this tank with the above projected stocking, support two of those tangs? eg, a tomini AND a kole, kole AND a white tail. I've read that they can be aggressive to conspecifics and similar shapes, but I've also read that they're not as bad as some of the other tangs, and that there are measures you can take to reduce aggression between them.

Appreciate any input, mostly on the tangs, but if you have thoughts on the rest of the stocking I'd be happy to hear them.

Also, if anyone has the RSR350 (original), what you keep in it? I've Googled, but it was unfruitful.
A bristletooth would be okay, tomini is smaller. I wouldnt do both, I would do a kole (bristletooth or tomini) and a dwarf angel! Had a few, never had an issue with them nipping corals

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

R2R, I've been mulling!

- pair of clownfish
- bristletooth tang
- royal gramma
- midas blenny
- flame hawkfish

and maybe a dwarf angelfish. Would I like one? Yes. Am I worried about it eating corals? Also yes.

Is that too many fish? From what I've SEEN it's not an insane bioload, maybe on the higher side of doable? I've heard 12/13 fish average in the RSR 350, and that's 11, maybe 12 if I do the dwarf angel.

Careful with the cardinals! Be sure you get someone who can actually sex them not just throw two in a bag for ya. These guys are MEAN if theres two males. The difference is in the jaw on them. Hard to tell but some LFSs care and have some good guys that work there! And im an angel person. I love them!! Try a coral beauty, they have a good chance of not munching on corals. None of the dwarfs I have touched them. I have a regal angel in my big tank and she doesnt eat my corals either so long as I give her a clam on the half shell lol

Also YES on the midas blenny. They are so awesome and goofy, give you hours of entertainment of watching them! Just make sure you have a lid they will jump

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
obviously didn't read the post very well
Read enough to know you don't care about your fish. Why not just wait till you get a proper size tank? They will most likely develop ich from stress now due to confined space and you will be buying new ones soon. You do realize fish like white tail bristletooth tangs need to graze on algae everyday on rocks right? How much green algae you got on those bright white Marco rocks in that brand new tank?

Last edited:

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

R2R, I've been mulling!

- pair of clownfish
- bristletooth tang
- royal gramma
- midas blenny
- flame hawkfish

I reckon that's about up to capacity for a 75 gal, which should be ok. Note that clowns can be violent and is capable of beating up literally every fish in here, perhaps exempting the tang, so be ready to take action.

I may suggest cutting down the wrasses as other genera are known to be aggressive to conspecifics and flashers will, well, flash at competition. However I don't have experience with wrasses myself(mid fish) and you can certainly try. Flashers, fairies and possums are as nice as they come.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I read the title of this post it wasn't the fish I was worried about, it was the floor of the room its in

You've read about these tanks right? I don't do scare mongering honestly... the concern comes from about three hundred pages of searchable wrecked carpets

OP
OP
DCJ

DCJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, sorry you guys, I wasn't getting notifs from this post, I'm sorry!

@leechlightning Nice video! I love it when you get a quirky fish, lol. I'm jealous of your upgrade! I could maybe move some stuff around to make space for a larger tank, but only a little larger, and I certainly don't have the money to upgrade. I'm disabled and live with my parents too, so I always have to consider the other people in the house who don't want to live in an aquarium for some reason.

Thank you for taking the time to comment

@littlefoxx Those little tangs are my favourite (as well as the purple tang, but I know that wouldn't fit) - I love the look of the kole and the white tail :) Oooh, which did you have and how long? I've heard that the chances of a dwarf angel nipping coral just increases as it gets older. I really like the look of them, they're really cute, but I can't afford to spend money on corals only for them just to become fish food (literally, lol)

I will take your advice re: the cardinals, I've been stressing it a little. I love them though, definitely going to get at least one. I was going to get a clam eventually, but I'm reconsidering it, I'm really worried about them getting eaten by the blennies, same as with dwarf angels and corals. Ugh, why does everything in the sea have to eat everything else in the sea? Stop eating each other, just get fast food!

I've been doing more research into the goby and blenny I wanted, and I've whittled the list right down, but midas is on the list. I really like them, though my favourite is the tailspot. Ugh, IDK. I've definitely got a lid, yeah, I don't want to lose a fish to jumping.

Thank you for your advice and for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it :)

@Alpha_and_Gec Thank you, I thought it was. If the plans work out, I should have a tank available if the clowns go beserk. I've done so much research into the wrasse to make sure I didn't get some that would wreck the tank and/or each other, the wrasse guy was REALLY helpful. I've whittled the list down to a choice from the mccosker's wrasse, yellow fin flasher, blue stripe hi-fin (all flasher wrasse) and the labbout's fairy wrasse. According to what I've read, they should get along without hurting each other or anyone else. It was a lot of fun, actually. I'm a nerd, lol.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment :)

@brandon429 I have, and I havent seen anything about them? Do you feel that way about all RSR tanks, or just the 350? I don't really have the capacity to sell this one on and then buy a new one, so it's moot, but if there's a specific problem with these tanks, I'd like to be aware, even if there's no way to mitigate the issue? Thank you for letting me know!

@Genvid it looks huge in the vid! I love your torches and those huge red shrooms! beautiful. Do you have like 6 clowns in there? How long have you had the copperband? I really like them, but I'm not brave enough to even think about getting one. Do you have any issues with the dwarf angels and your corals? That bicolor (?) is beautiful!

Thank you for posting a vid!

2020 Worst Year

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@leechlightning Nice video! I love it when you get a quirky fish, lol. I'm jealous of your upgrade! I could maybe move some stuff around to make space for a larger tank, but only a little larger, and I certainly don't have the money to upgrade. I'm disabled and live with my parents too, so I always have to consider the other people in the house who don't want to live in an aquarium for some reason.

@littlefoxx Those little tangs are my favourite (as well as the purple tang, but I know that wouldn't fit) - I love the look of the kole and the white tail :) Oooh, which did you have and how long? I've heard that the chances of a dwarf angel nipping coral just increases as it gets older. I really like the look of them, they're really cute, but I can't afford to spend money on corals only for them just to become fish food (literally, lol)

I will take your advice re: the cardinals, I've been stressing it a little. I love them though, definitely going to get at least one. I was going to get a clam eventually, but I'm reconsidering it, I'm really worried about them getting eaten by the blennies, same as with dwarf angels and corals. Ugh, why does everything in the sea have to eat everything else in the sea? Stop eating each other, just get fast food!

I've been doing more research into the goby and blenny I wanted, and I've whittled the list right down, but midas is on the list. I really like them, though my favourite is the tailspot. Ugh, IDK. I've definitely got a lid, yeah, I don't want to lose a fish to jumping.

Thank you for your advice and for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it :)

@Alpha_and_Gec Thank you, I thought it was. If the plans work out, I should have a tank available if the clowns go beserk. I've done so much research into the wrasse to make sure I didn't get some that would wreck the tank and/or each other, the wrasse guy was REALLY helpful. I've whittled the list down to a choice from the mccosker's wrasse, yellow fin flasher, blue stripe hi-fin (all flasher wrasse) and the labbout's fairy wrasse. According to what I've read, they should get along without hurting each other or anyone else. It was a lot of fun, actually. I'm a nerd, lol.

@brandon429 I have, and I havent seen anything about them? Do you feel that way about all RSR tanks, or just the 350? I don't really have the capacity to sell this one on and then buy a new one, so it's moot, but if there's a specific problem with these tanks, I'd like to be aware, even if there's no way to mitigate the issue? Thank you for letting me know!

@Genvid it looks huge in the vid! I love your torches and those huge red shrooms! beautiful. Do you have like 6 clowns in there? How long have you had the copperband? I really like them, but I'm not brave enough to even think about getting one. Do you have any issues with the dwarf angels and your corals? That bicolor (?) is beautiful!

had the same tank as you purple tang was fine in it aswell as a powder blue both we're happy even though i thought the powder blue was not now it has went to a 500 gallon tank and it wont come out of hiding

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 425 with a white tail that seems happy in my tank. I’m probably going to add yellow at some point too. I believe the 350 vs 425 is just a few inches shallower. I’d say you’re safe adding a smaller bristletooth for sure

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Up your filtration and feed heavily. If it’s easier for the fish to get fat on shrimp and good food, it won’t eat your coral. I have an avast marine plank autofeeder and feed their reef jerky every 2 hours. I have a filter roller to remove uneaten food.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 60 43.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 65 46.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back