Red Sea Reefer ATO Float Valve

Jimmy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had an issue (knock on wood). I don't know if it makes a difference but I have my float valve set to allow the maximum water for the return chamber.
Hey, how do you set the float? I’m having issues. Tough to find info in this

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The float is connected to the drop valve by a small acrylic screw. Just loosen that off and you can then swing the float up or down to set it to the water height you are after. Tighten the screw back after you have set it. If you swing the float up the water level will rise, down it will lower. Also in case you happen to snap the screw when cleaning like I did it is an M3x6 acrylic screw (M3 gauge, 6 mm length).

Jimmy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The float is connected to the drop valve by a small acrylic screw. Just loosen that off and you can then swing the float up or down to set it to the water height you are after. Tighten the screw back after you have set it. If you swing the float up the water level will rise, down it will lower. Also in case you happen to snap the screw when cleaning like I did it is an M3x6 acrylic screw (M3 gauge, 6 mm length).
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it I will defiantly give it a try this morning. Appreciate it : )

Franco1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works much better without the little needle valve. Just run hose straight from the reservoir to the float. Red Sea said it was okay to do it this way. I give the hose a pinch every so often to force some water through and clear any debris. I have various ATOs lying around but like the simplicity and tidiness of the Red Sea ATO.
This saved me so much headache. I just setup the tank and ran it solo to test and after a day I couldn't figure out shy the ato was not topping. I removed the little valve and presto

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works much better without the little needle valve. Just run hose straight from the reservoir to the float. Red Sea said it was okay to do it this way. I give the hose a pinch every so often to force some water through and clear any debris. I have various ATOs lying around but like the simplicity and tidiness of the Red Sea ATO.

My LFS suggested this approach and the only issue is when you want to clean the bottom of the sump and you need to turn off the water supply from the reservoir tank. The only solution is to reattach the little white valve when you want to do maintenance on the bottom of the sump or have access to the pump. .

Last edited:
Back