Red sea, water box, or innovative marine?

jnelson_14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you all have ran into this question a thousand times but I'm looking into getting into the reefing hobby after doing freshwater for so long. I've found these 3 companies seem to be the big players I see others talk about. I think the red sea setup looks sexy, but I've heard that they possibly have leak issues? The IM's are a better price but I've heard the stands are less than desirable. And I haven't looked too much into the water box yet but I'd like some thoughts from those who have had these aquariums.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM100EXT and like it. I built my own stand so can not comment on that. I would not purchase a RedSea. This is my first reef tank. I was thinking about going custom but glad I did not. I will know more what I want for my second tank that will be custom.

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a Red Sea and personally would not have one again. I now have a IM 100EXT, full system. They tend to "over build" things which I like. Love the sump, 39" long and tons of room. I also like the APS Stand. It's incredibly strong and the 5 doors make maintenance a breeze.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toss up between IM, Waterbox, Planet Aquariums, Cade, Glass Cages. Red Sea would under no circumstances be a consideration. You just have to research and make a decision based on the model you want. IM and Waterbox have a fair number of complaints about poor customer service/quality but nothing approaching Red Sea. Keep in mind companies like Red Sea, Cade, Fiji etc. use proprietary and/or metric parts which I personally would avoid.

OP
OP
J

jnelson_14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i know for sure now to stay away from the red seas. The more I read about the IMs the more i like them.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are you looking for? I have two redsea tanks. One is a reefer 170 that has been running for probably 4 or 5 years. I added a reefer xl 300 G2 last February. I'm very happy with them. Unbox assemble and start filling easy peasy. The metric fittings are a non issue for me because I use the plumbing provided and haven't added any plumbing. I have small pumps for carbon reactor and uv.
That said I would not purchase a large redsea tank just because of the failed seams that have been reported.
My next tank I want is 96"x30"x24" so it will have to be custom.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are you looking for? I have two redsea tanks. One is a reefer 170 that has been running for probably 4 or 5 years. I added a reefer xl 300 G2 last February. I'm very happy with them. Unbox assemble and start filling easy peasy. The metric fittings are a non issue for me because I use the plumbing provided and haven't added any plumbing. I have small pumps for carbon reactor and uv.
That said I would not purchase a large redsea tank just because of the failed seams that have been reported.
My next tank I want is 96"x30"x24" so it will have to be custom.
SC Aquarium might also be an option since going custom but would have to be smaller than your 96" length.
210g 72x24x32 and 240g 72x24x32

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the gen 2 waterbox marine x 90. It was a choice for me between this and the red sea 250. It looks very nice and I love the aluminum cabinet that comes with it. Only thing I don't like is the ato compartment in the sump but I'm thinking of drilling some holes and use it for my refugium.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Aluminum IM stands better than the Redsea stands. I have both. If I were in the market I would probably look at the IM as I like the shallow wider dimensions of that that I've seen in person on the bigger models. The 3 IMs that I have are smaller models with 2 being EXT and one being an AOI, but I do have experience with the 150 and 200. I have a few Redsea tanks as well including a 750xxl that blew a seam. I've installed some G2s and they do seem a bit better. What it really comes down to to is which you like as I see those and others such as Prostar as being basically that same with just some tweaks

jtichenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the IM EXT150. Being able to open the stand from 3 sides is awesome. The stand, floor and top are all not wood so no worries about rot. They also come with a great screen lid.
1000004619.jpg

Ghostweim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are sticking to a smaller size tank or AIO, then Red Sea is a decent option. I had a Red Sea Nano Max - the tank and stand were very nice and I had no issues. I did not like that the Red Sea Nano had a very narrow sump and it was hard for me to fit my hand back there. I needed more "floor space" for my clowns since they started laying eggs on a bi-weekly basis and attacked anything remotely close, so went with a IM 40L.

Really, really like this tank! The aluminum stand is awesome and love the floor space I gained. Since it is a lagoon, it also has less depth, so it is easier to perform display maintenance.

Just my 2 cents from a nano perspective...

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still on the newer side, but have 2 water box peninsula 25s. They have been great and had great customer support with an issue I had! The only comparison I have is a 40g breeder that cracked on me

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 23 23.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 71.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back