Red serpent star white spot.

EvilNick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this guy for a while and he was and is vibrant and seems healthy. Eats like a champ but I noticed he's getting somewhat bleached spots. Is this normal? I will say this started nearly as soon as I introduced a pistol shrimp, who has now been evicted for his coral burying habit.
I'm wondering if the shrimp may have attacked him while he was trying to go under the rocks for cover. Any thoughts? Water is fine and everyone else is doing great. The spots look worse in this photo due to the blue light.

PXL_20231112_223023083.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed he's getting somewhat bleached spots. Is this normal?
That’s typically a sign or failing health for some reason or another.
I'm wondering if the shrimp may have attacked him while he was trying to go under the rocks for cover. Any thoughts?
It’s possible but unlikely that the shrimp attacked it (they’re really not vicious like they’re made out to be - they’re more defensive than offensive), and I doubt the shrimp would have caused damage like this if it had. I’d guess it’s more likely malnourished, sick, or just dying of old age (though I don’t know for certain).

What is it eating in the tank?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you can do is try to keep everything stable at this point but it's usually not a good sign

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this guy for a while and he was and is vibrant and seems healthy. Eats like a champ but I noticed he's getting somewhat bleached spots. Is this normal? I will say this started nearly as soon as I introduced a pistol shrimp, who has now been evicted for his coral burying habit.
I'm wondering if the shrimp may have attacked him while he was trying to go under the rocks for cover. Any thoughts? Water is fine and everyone else is doing great. The spots look worse in this photo due to the blue light.

PXL_20231112_223023083.jpg
I lost mine right after it looked like this. Days after.

Sorry op.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen my pistol shrimp click at my serpent star, the star moves away super quick when that happens, but I did not see white spots on mine like yours, I would say that yours is suffering from something other than the pistol shrimp.

How long have you had it? the sandbed looks very clean, guessing this is a new system?

OP
OP
E

EvilNick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen my pistol shrimp click at my serpent star, the star moves away super quick when that happens, but I did not see white spots on mine like yours, I would say that yours is suffering from something other than the pistol shrimp.

How long have you had it? the sandbed looks very clean, guessing this is a new system?
Nope tank it's quite old I just keep everything super clean. I've had him maybe 8 months. He still moves about, eats like crazy. When I drop food in he jumps up like nothing I've ever seen. I direct feed him pellets about every day or two which he loves and he gets whatever else he scavenges from the others like mysis.

Are there any dips I can try to maybe help. Perhaps a freshwater dip or iodine, etc?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope tank it's quite old I just keep everything super clean. I've had him maybe 8 months. He still moves about, eats like crazy. When I drop food in he jumps up like nothing I've ever seen. I direct feed him pellets about every day or two which he loves and he gets whatever else he scavenges from the others like mysis.
How long has he been like that? It looks as if it's spread over a large portion of his body.

OP
OP
E

EvilNick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prob a month but it looks way worse from the lighting than in reality. He's not covered as bad visually like in the pic.
Pretty much all you normally see is the one spot on the center bottom of the body. I wonder if most of those white spots are just sand covering the body my camera picked up.

How long has he been like that? It looks as if it's spread over a large portion of his body.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back