Red slim for 3 years

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 250 gallon aquarium with a 75 gallon sump I've been running bio pellets the whole time due to high nutrients because it's a fish only system. Now I don't think my bio pellets actually work even though it's plumbed directly into the skimmer never seen a drop in nutrients. And I've only ever added pallets a few times. This red slim I don't believe it to be cyano like I've seen in other tanks in the past. I have dosed it with chemi clean about 10 times in the passed 3 Years never see a reduction in the slime. Now it dose blow right of the rocks. Any idea what it could be? I'm upgrading in a month and figured I should try and beat this stuff.

20240425_152553.jpg 20240425_152536.jpg 20240425_152534.jpg

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Definitely looks like cyano to me. What are you nitrates and phosphates at? possible you have an antibiotic resistant strain? Or does it go away and come back after dosing chemiclean?

OP
OP
Xxflounderxx

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate. 40
Nitrate 25

It never goes away and when I dosed it did absolutely nothing even followed up with a full does 48 hours later

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 250 gallon aquarium with a 75 gallon sump I've been running bio pellets the whole time due to high nutrients because it's a fish only system. Now I don't think my bio pellets actually work even though it's plumbed directly into the skimmer never seen a drop in nutrients. And I've only ever added pallets a few times. This red slim I don't believe it to be cyano like I've seen in other tanks in the past. I have dosed it with chemi clean about 10 times in the passed 3 Years never see a reduction in the slime. Now it dose blow right of the rocks. Any idea what it could be? I'm upgrading in a month and figured I should try and beat this stuff.

What lights do you run and what is you light schedule?

Reduce light intensity and the number of hours they are on.

Then manual cleanup until its gone.

OP
OP
Xxflounderxx

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved the tank last year and brushed off the rock with tank water. I had the lights off for a week about a week until I set them back up. It take while for it to grow but it always comes back. The tank is 36in deep so not much light gets to the bottom only running Chinese black boxes 3 of them. I know my flow is lacking but that will change with the new tank

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved the tank last year and brushed off the rock with tank water. I had the lights off for a week about a week until I set them back up. It take while for it to grow but it always comes back. The tank is 36in deep so not much light gets to the bottom only running Chinese black boxes 3 of them. I know my flow is lacking but that will change with the new tank
if you have low flow, cyano tends to gather where there is lack of flow

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't hear yet if it easily siphons off. If not, it isn't normal cyanobacteria.

To be honest, the pictures do not look to me like typical cyanobacteria, and if chemiclean did nothing, that makes me even more suspicious. THe pictures have a lot of defition in the red stuff, while cyano is more often masses of stuff without the surface details.

Aside from the manual removal I mention above, these are my generic recommendations relating to cyano:

Increase flow
Reduce organics (skimming, GAC, purigen, chemipure, etc.)
No organic carbon dosing
Adequate N and P, alk, and calcium to permit growth of competitors
Antibiotics such as chemiclean as a last resort

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a more typical red cyano look:

1714141307248.png

OP
OP
Xxflounderxx

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will do that I did purchase a larger skimmer as well reef octopus 300 thanks for everyone's help I'll do an update in about a month

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20240425_152553.jpg 20240425_152536.jpg 20240425_152534.jpg
I find the lack of coralline algae interesting. The rocks look grey in places and relatively clean and that seems unusual in a three year old system. Is there hair algae on the rocks?

I will give a totally odd perspective and suggest that your aquarium is trace element depleted and this is limiting what can grow on the rock surfaces, and/or struggling and stressed algae from low trace elements are feeding the cyanobacteria.

OP
OP
Xxflounderxx

Xxflounderxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there is zero coralline it's a fish only system so I don't monitor alk or anything of those elements mainly nitrate and Phosphate. Never really had an algae problem just figured it was due to the 6 tangs I have

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back