red worms

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I'm new to R2R and I'm excited to learn more about SW aquaria.
I have a 120G with abut 60 lbs of LR, 5 fish (med), some Zoas and palys, 4 brittle stars, 12 hermit crabs, 1 cleaner shrimp, and 1 coral banded shrimp. I have a 20-25g sump/fuge with a coralife 65 skimmer (undersized). 6 54W T5 HO lighting.
I've had fish only with a wet/dry trickle filter for about 7 months and I've since converted to LR and converted my wet/dry to a sump/fuge for about 1.5 months now.
Everything seems to be running just fine but today, my 5 yr old son noticed some worms in my DT sand bed. They seem about .5 to 1" long, very skinny and a reddish brown in color. No legs or bristles noticeable. It kinda looks like a skinny earth worm. Anyone with any clue on what that is or whether or not it's harmful to my tank?

Rukis

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a bristle worm or spaghetti worm, check on coralpedia.com under predators/irritants and try to ID it! May be ok, may want to get rid of it, depending on what it is?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spaghetti worms are usually in bunches and are a good thing. Bristle worms have visible legs and again are usually a good thing in moderation. I wish I had the spaghetti worm population I used to have but mine has dwindled.

OP
OP
GR808

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed a few spaghetti worms on my LR, but these critters are in my sand bed. I'll take a look at coralpedia for an ID and update.

OP
OP
GR808

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a good enough camera to take a decent picture. I'll see if it becomes a problem for my inhabitants.
I didn't see anything in Melsreef but it does have alot of good info.
Coralpedia is cool. i never realized how much different Zoas there are out there....

I

inactive

View Badges
My sandbed is infested with spaghetti warriors.. do a great job of cleaning things up, sometimes they can reach and steal food from near by corals when spot feeding! haha

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back