Redoing a tank to be mainly Zoas, need some advice...

I'm A Dork Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First let me say that we have been in the hobby for 15+ years. Our main tank (which we just took down last spring) was an 180 gallon in wall. It was SPS dominated. So we aren't newbies. BUT, I will admit that I am a little scared to keep a tank that is mainly zoas. I do want to eventually have some lps corals. But I am starting with zoas. I have read about people having problems with zoas melting, etc. and I repeatedly read "your water might be too clean". This statement worries me. LOL So with that said, I am coming to you and hope that I can learn how to successfully keep a zoa tank. I will be transferring everything from my current tank (some live rock, some zoas that i just bought, a lobo, a RBTA, two black onyx clowns and a bristletooth tang. I didn't have enough live rock, so I just started curing some dry rock that I purchased from reefcleaners.org. It is in a 10 gallon tank with a back filter. I just put in some bacteria that was purchased from a LFS. I figured that this isn't going to happen for at least 4 months because that is the lead time for the tank to be built. So I am in no hurry with the dry rock.

I currently have a 30 gallon M-Tank (running for 5-6 years now). I am going to be switching that tank out to a 50 Gallon Reef Savvy (24 x 24 x 20). The sump (not built yet) will be around 20 x 15 x 15. It will include: filter sock holders, area for skimmer, baffles, fresh water compartment and two compartments for 2-part (if I decided to go that route). I haven't decided on a skimmer yet. I just purchased a BRS dual reactor for the GFO and carbon. So what am i missing?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Andrea

11purewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always split my new zoa colonies in three and place them in differant areas of my tank,differant light ,flow etc and see which colony takes hold first.i run carbon for a week after adding colonies in case of chemical warfare between species,and T-5s give me the best result(ATI blue+,ATI coral +,and true actinic)this is what works for me:canada:

bobbyM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like your missing a skimmer. lol

I wouldn't worry about them melting just yet. There are plenty of hardy Zoa's out there. Just start slow before going big. You'll do fine.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water too clean can be a problem. But a lot of the melting has to do with freshly cut frags. Try to buy frags that have been healed and possibly have babies growing. Your setup can be anything just don't go crazy with the skimmer and reactors. If you have zoas the need for super clean water is not necessary. I've noticed leds and t5 color zoas very good and halides make them get big in my tanks. I have 6 lines on 2 tanks and they do really good eating pests from frags. Good luck. I'm looking forward to the build thread and to see what zoa beauties Chicago local lfs has to offer.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest an algae scrubber instead of a skimmer, that way it will leave food in the water column but no appreciable nitrate or phosphate.

OP
OP
I

I'm A Dork Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so Zoa tank owners don't run carbon constantly in their tanks? What about GFO? As far as which lights I will be running: ATI 24" Powermodule 4 Blue+, 1 Purple and 1 aquablue special.
I always split my new zoa colonies in three and place them in differant areas of my tank,differant light ,flow etc and see which colony takes hold first.i run carbon for a week after adding colonies in case of chemical warfare between species,and T-5s give me the best result(ATI blue+,ATI coral +,and true actinic)this is what works for me:canada:

This is a future system. I haven't purchased a skimmer yet. Just not sure which one to get.
Sounds to me like your missing a skimmer. lol

I wouldn't worry about them melting just yet. There are plenty of hardy Zoa's out there. Just start slow before going big. You'll do fine.

I just purchases about 7 frags. The person agreed to hold them for 4 weeks to let them heal. I should be able to pick them up in a couple of weeks. Im just going to put them on the sand of my current system until I get the new tank set up. Can you be a little more specific about "don't go crazy with the skimmer and reactors"?
Water too clean can be a problem. But a lot of the melting has to do with freshly cut frags. Try to buy frags that have been healed and possibly have babies growing. Your setup can be anything just don't go crazy with the skimmer and reactors. If you have zoas the need for super clean water is not necessary. I've noticed leds and t5 color zoas very good and halides make them get big in my tanks. I have 6 lines on 2 tanks and they do really good eating pests from frags. Good luck. I'm looking forward to the build thread and to see what zoa beauties Chicago local lfs has to offer.

No can do...no room for that. sorry!
I'd suggest an algae scrubber instead of a skimmer, that way it will leave food in the water column but no appreciable nitrate or phosphate.

Rize2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say 75% of my corals are zoas/palys. I have never run carbon and I don't do GFO. My zoa's all seem to be growing really fast. I bought 1 head each of tyree space monster, JF god of war and red devil people eater the end of the summer. Now i'm up to 25+ on the space monster and around 10 of the other two. I have a 34 gal, and my skimmer is the tunze 9002. I'd say find a skimmer that is rated for an aquarium of your size, if its way bigger that could be what people mean by having it too clean.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have room for a small pump (like a MJ or Mag), you've got room for an algae scrubber. They sit above the pump and waterfall down back into the sump.

OP
OP
I

I'm A Dork Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This new system should be around 60-65 gallons. Any suggestions on skimmers? not interested in Ebay, knock off models.
I would say 75% of my corals are zoas/palys. I have never run carbon and I don't do GFO. My zoa's all seem to be growing really fast. I bought 1 head each of tyree space monster, JF god of war and red devil people eater the end of the summer. Now i'm up to 25+ on the space monster and around 10 of the other two. I have a 34 gal, and my skimmer is the tunze 9002. I'd say find a skimmer that is rated for an aquarium of your size, if its way bigger that could be what people mean by having it too clean.

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is predominately zoas, although I'm heading towards SPS, so my procedures are about to change. That being said, I did not run carbon or GFO, nor did I dose calcium or alk. Just let the tank run. I do however have a beast of a skimmer, rated for a 150 and I only have a 45 cube with 20 tall sump. I run T5's 2 blue +, 1coral +, and a kz Fiji purple. In my experience all zoas prefer higher flow than what people think. Mine are all in medium flow areas. Also, they prefer higher light than most think. Start at the bottom and move them up to medium light intensity, some like cherry charms color up best at high intensity.

reefjunky24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Skimz skimmer and love it, but have heard great reviews on the Warner products as they are very close to the Skimz just with some upgrades I would give them a look as I feel it is a great quality unit. Also I don't think you need to have a reactor on the tank as you will not have the load capacity with zoas to pull that much out for the reactor to be useful in the beginning maybe once the tank starts getting full i would go with a reactor, i currently run no reactor with chalices/zoas/acans and general LPS, all i have to do is top off the alk every few days, i currently have about 50 frags in a 60g tank, but if you have any questions feel free to ask me and if you need some help i don't think you are too far from me if you are in the northwest burbs

ChoxRox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chiming in to say that I currently have a 27g sumpless/skimmerless set up that has been running great (with mainly zoas/softies) for 4+ months... It's not ALWAYS necessary, you just have to make sure you have enough rock/sand IMO.

Rize2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not very familiar with a lot of skimmers, But the tunze would definately be too small. As far as flow goes, I have very little flow in my tank, I only have my return pump and have it pointed towards my sps. I prefer to keep my zoas/palys away from the flow because I dont like it when the skirts get long and stringy. I'm sure part of the reason I'm getting good growth is because I spot feed. Usually about once a week I mix a little mysis, phyto and fuel together and shoot it at my colonies. The space monster always takes the mysis and closes up quickly.

OP
OP
I

I'm A Dork Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting...how long has your tank been running? Just alk huh? No calcium? I will check out the warner products. Maybe I should reconsider the dual reactor...
I use a Skimz skimmer and love it, but have heard great reviews on the Warner products as they are very close to the Skimz just with some upgrades I would give them a look as I feel it is a great quality unit. Also I don't think you need to have a reactor on the tank as you will not have the load capacity with zoas to pull that much out for the reactor to be useful in the beginning maybe once the tank starts getting full i would go with a reactor, i currently run no reactor with chalices/zoas/acans and general LPS, all i have to do is top off the alk every few days, i currently have about 50 frags in a 60g tank, but if you have any questions feel free to ask me and if you need some help i don't think you are too far from me if you are in the northwest burbs

Hmmm, seems to be differences in flow rates. I was considering a MP10 for my 24 x 24 x 20 tank.
I'm not very familiar with a lot of skimmers, But the tunze would definately be too small. As far as flow goes, I have very little flow in my tank, I only have my return pump and have it pointed towards my sps. I prefer to keep my zoas/palys away from the flow because I dont like it when the skirts get long and stringy. I'm sure part of the reason I'm getting good growth is because I spot feed. Usually about once a week I mix a little mysis, phyto and fuel together and shoot it at my colonies. The space monster always takes the mysis and closes up quickly.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 30 78.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.9%
Back