Redsea 170 lights and wave pump options

cat910064

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to this hobby and had my first nano tank setup last September.
Great tank to start up with reefcasa studio 12 AIO and have no complain about the small system as I have my first fish (pair of clowns ). But you know.....I was too greedy and want to put more fish in so I started to think about the upgrade.

Living in the rental in college town really could not afford much and I don't want the move to be overwhelming if I got to move out. consider the tank style and space I could accommodate, I finally go for Redsea reefer series for my hands down build. Luckily I was able to find a used tank with some heavy scratch at the front of glass (I know....) but seems to be working fine, at least it hasn't leaked.... setup the tank and moved in stuff within a week of setup, got the whole process accelerate with the help of Dr. Tims and bunch of bio-brick and live sand.

Was thinking of the proper gears for this tank. I have a dual RFG nozzle that attached to the stock return nozzle and I think it works great for the front part of the tank but I probably need one wave maker for the back.

Thinking of having a AI Nero 3 placing at the right side of back panel since I don't want to see the wire on the right glass....but not sure if I can get away from having detritus build up in two corner beside the overflow panel?

Bought two prime 16 HD but was kind of thinking I should go for a single radion XR15 ? any opinion which is better? Goal is to build a mixed reef with SPS on top bridge and Zoe/acan/hammer/torch at the bottom.

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size RedSea Reefer series tank did you pick?

Two lights would work well for 2 metres of aquarium length. However, despite 2 lights having better spread, I would incorporate this information into your decision:

The cube shape ones a single light would be fine for LPS; if it becomes inadequate in the future over a few years, you can add fill lighting.

The Radion is probably fine, but I would go for the Kessil A360X at a comparable price point:

By reputation, Radion is a great light. My experiences have been with various Kessil lights; that said, Kessil lights tend to have foolproof lighting spectra, and in my view, are aesthetically pleasing and engineered well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cat910064

cat910064

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size RedSea Reefer series tank did you pick?

Two lights would work well for 2 metres of aquarium length. However, despite 2 lights having better spread, I would incorporate this information into your decision:

The cube shape ones a single light would be fine for LPS; if it becomes inadequate in the future over a few years, you can add fill lighting.

The Radion is probably fine, but I would go for the Kessil A360X at a comparable price point:

By reputation, Radion is a great light. My experiences have been with various Kessil lights; that said, Kessil lights tend to have foolproof lighting spectra, and in my view, are aesthetically pleasing and engineered well.

sorry forget to mentioned it is reefer 170

Upvote 0

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry forget to mentioned it is reefer 170

Kessil A360X + Optional (Future) Reefbrite Fill Lighting

Upfront: ~USD 247

Later: 449

A single Kessil A360X would work very well:

Later, you can add fill lights to mitigate shading if the corals grow too big:

There are several mounting options:

I think some this goose neck might be logistically akward for a large light footprint, even with the adaptor. The A360X and Reefbrites are very light, so clipping against glass is likely safe (with torquing-induced fracture), but adjusting the flexible neck would still require avoiding placing such bending stress on the glass:

I think for this arrangement, this would be more wieldy and aesthetically pleasing:

The nicest and most cost effective option would be ceiling-mounted.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cat910064

cat910064

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kessil A360X + Optional (Future) Reefbrite Fill Lighting

Upfront: ~USD 247

Later: 449

A single Kessil A360X would work very well:

Later, you can add fill lights to mitigate shading if the corals grow too big:

There are several mounting options:

I think some this goose neck might be logistically akward for a large light footprint, even with the adaptor. The A360X and Reefbrites are very light, so clipping against glass is likely safe (with torquing-induced fracture), but adjusting the flexible neck would still require avoiding placing such bending stress on the glass:

I think for this arrangement, this would be more wieldy and aesthetically pleasing:

The nicest and most cost effective option would be ceiling-mounted.

thanks I appreciate your recommendation!

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back