Reducing nitrates and phosphates in coral QT

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15G coral QT and I do 10% WC almost daily. I also feed the corals about once per week. Filtration is a HOB filter with a few small pieces of LR and one inch of LS. My nitrates are normally 15-20 ppm and my phosphates are .1-.2 ppm. The nitrate/phos tests are taken about 24 hrs after I do the WC. I am experiencing some algae growth due to the nitrates.

What is the best way to reduce and control nitrates and phosphates in a small coral QT? Can I take some of my cheato from my DT fuge and put it in the QT to help control nitrates? I have the opposite problem in my DT....nearly zero nitrates and zero phosphates (Hanna).

Thoughts?

OP
OP
S

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a photosynthetic sea fan and a few SPS (non acros) with some LPS. It's the sea fan that I mainly feed. I will probably cut back on feeding it since it is photosynthetic and will be going into DT in a few weeks anyway. I did move some cheato and marine pure from my DT to my QT to see if that would make it difference in both tanks since I have opposite problems in each.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 132 75.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back