Reducing the sump noise

LeoBrok3n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm a bit new to this and I've tried to solve it myself with little success. I'm trying to reduce the gurgling noise coming from the durso drain and the drain output in the sump tank.

its a 57 gallon deep blue edge. The sump is 800GPH. This is for a freshwater tank. I'm not ready to move up to salt water and I received the tank at a great discount so I figured I could transition to saltwater later.

I've included two photos showing the reverse durso and a video of the drain at the top of the tank.

1%PihJC6TCOE1whNADX4Gg.jpg

%Y5PfXgoQfaoHKGhmlazwA.jpg

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen anything like that. A durso overflow is one of the crappiest ones you can have. The cap and tube need to be at the top in the overflow. I’ve never seen anyone put it at the bottom. A durso overflow will not be dead silent.

Last edited:

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Herbie type and dead silent. Just need to get a good gate valve, not a ball valve, to adjust. Once dialed in silence will ensure.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Herbie type and dead silent. Just need to get a good gate valve, not a ball valve, to adjust. Once dialed in silence will ensure.

He is using a durso overflow. I would not put a valve on that type of overflow. That’s just asking for a flood if the DT doesn’t hold the water you will get from the sump if the pipe plugs.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One think I would suggest changing is the depth of the drain pipe. You want it about 1 - 2" below the water. With it deeper it has a harder time purging the air.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is using a durso overflow. I would not put a valve on that type of overflow. That’s just asking for a flood if the DT doesn’t hold the water you will get from the sump if the pipe plugs.

I was meaning they might want to go to a Herbie instead of the Durso. I tried the Durso for awhile on my tank and there was still noise.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One think I would suggest changing is the depth of the drain pipe. You want it about 1 - 2" below the water. With it deeper it has a harder time purging the air.

Yeah that pipe is way to long

diverpat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar tank. I set it up as a herbie style drain with the pump return plumbed separately over the back of the tank. The 3/4" bulkhead in the overflow is the primary with a valve, the 1" is the emergency. I made the pump return from PVC and painted it black with 2 inlets on each side of the overflow.

I'm able to push 600 gph thru the tank and it is dead silent. Before this mod, it sounded like a toilet flushing 24/7.

OP
OP
L

LeoBrok3n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar tank. I set it up as a herbie style drain with the pump return plumbed separately over the back of the tank. The 3/4" bulkhead in the overflow is the primary with a valve, the 1" is the emergency. I made the pump return from PVC and painted it black with 2 inlets on each side of the overflow.

I'm able to push 600 gph thru the tank and it is dead silent. Before this mod, it sounded like a toilet flushing 24/7.

The model is a Deep blue edge 56 gallon rimless reef ready. Is it possible that I could simply drill another 3/4 hole on the acrylic bottom and use that as the siphon drain? I'm trying to keep it as clean looking as possible.

Also, thank you for the replies everyone.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen anything like that. A durso overflow is one of the crappiest ones you can have. The cap and tube need to be at the top in the overflow. I’ve never seen anyone put it at the bottom.

Reverse Durso is a pretty common way to reduce gurgling noise in the sump, google around and you'll find references to it.

@LeoBrok3n I agree with the earlier post that you should try reducing the length that extends underwater in the sump. But it also looks to me like your opening to the air is too small - so instead of allowing a path for air to escape upwards before it makes it underwater, you're creating a venturi effect and the downflow of water is sucking extra air in through the vinyl tubing and along for the ride. Have you tried removing that top piece of vinyl tubing entirely, or that plus the reducer fittings?

diverpat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The model is a Deep blue edge 56 gallon rimless reef ready. Is it possible that I could simply drill another 3/4 hole on the acrylic bottom and use that as the siphon drain? I'm trying to keep it as clean looking as possible.

Also, thank you for the replies everyone.
Mine is the same model. The bottom is glass so it'll be a little tougher to drill. I was reluctant at first because I wanted the clean look also but the sound was unbearable. The pipes going up and over the back don't really detract from the look.

I've thought about doing a single return line over the back and into the overflow. It would Tee off to the 2 flex returns and into the tank. Then there would only be one pvc pipe going up and over.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also drill the back if you don’t want a pipe going over the top.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is the same model. The bottom is glass so it'll be a little tougher to drill. I was reluctant at first because I wanted the clean look also but the sound was unbearable. The pipes going up and over the back don't really detract from the look.

I've thought about doing a single return line over the back and into the overflow. It would Tee off to the 2 flex returns and into the tank. Then there would only be one pvc pipe going up and over.
I have an up and over white PVC pipe on my 75 gallon and in a couple months the coralline just about covers it and it blends in.

Back