Reef additive recommendation

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to get corals fairly soon and as I have a bit of money up front I'd like to get everything in place for when I get my nitrates low enough (currently been dosing red sea nitrate reduction for 3 days to try and get them down from 40ppm)
So I have seen magnesium and calcium separately and together as an all in one as well as some that are not only those 2 but also iodene and strontium.
My main question is, am I ok getting an all in one such as Red Sea ABC+ or should I get seperate additives incase I get a drop in 1 of them but not the others so would then need to dose individually?

Many thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Try to avoid too many additives in which are referred to as snake oils.
Alk
magnesium
calcium
amino acids
dechlorinator
iodine
iron
stronium

These should be adequate

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to get corals fairly soon and as I have a bit of money up front I'd like to get everything in place for when I get my nitrates low enough (currently been dosing red sea nitrate reduction for 3 days to try and get them down from 40ppm)
So I have seen magnesium and calcium separately and together as an all in one as well as some that are not only those 2 but also iodene and strontium.
My main question is, am I ok getting an all in one such as Red Sea ABC+ or should I get seperate additives incase I get a drop in 1 of them but not the others so would then need to dose individually?

Many thanks
Rather than adding why not do a 50% water change?

OP
OP
AVVITT

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply but my question was am I ok using an all in 1 additive or am I better using all sperate elements? I don't think red sea would sell anything "snake oil" like but if there's an imbalance in one or more of the elements then dosing a complete compound wouldn't be beneficial surely?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to answer that question. With regular water changes there shouldn't be a need for an additive at all. Especially before corals and their consumption. Until you have a lot of corals that won't be a problem.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think red sea would sell anything "snake oil"

I would reconsider. Maybe "snake oil" is too strong, but unless you doing a no WC system most tanks need nothing other tham alk/calc/and occassional magnesium.

Maybe a couple others in specific situations..

With a new tank just adding corals you realistically need none of those. Maybe alk/calc if you got a lot of coralline growing.

OP
OP
AVVITT

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to answer that question. With regular water changes there shouldn't be a need for an additive at all. Especially before corals and their consumption. Until you have a lot of corals that won't be a problem.
My apologies, I misunderstood your answer! I have read many things saying corals need so many other elements and also others saying at first there's no need to add anything.
This leads me to another question then. Is there already magnesium and calcium within the water I put in? Do I need to test to confirm this?

ReeferLou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dosing is used to replenish elements that will get consumed too fast between water changes. First step is to find out via testing what elements your tank will be consuming. In my case alk is consumed too fast for me to keep up with water changes and my nitrates are low. So this is what I dose. As far as the all in ones it is good to stick with the same brand but not required. Invest in some good test kits. Have Fun!

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is coming up on 2 years. I dose NoPox daily to keep my nitrates stable and mix some baking soda in with my top off water for Alk. My corals are growing like weeds. I've never used any other additives. I'm sure at come point if I get into sps that will change.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there already magnesium and calcium within the water I put in? Do I need to test to confirm this?
What salt do you use? Yes there is.

OP
OP
AVVITT

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt do you use? Yes there is.
I buy my water from my LFS which are a very highly regarded chain in the UK. I have to admit, I thought salt water was salt water but I'm rapidly learning this isn't the case!
Every day is a school day I always say!

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get some salifert test kits so you can start testing your numbers. Nitrate, magnesium, calcium, ph and alk. Find out what salt mix your LFS uses. If you google it all of the minerals are listed and their levels when mixed. It will give you a baseline for your parameters. As you progress with coral the previously mentioned parameters will get consumed. This can be replenished with water changes, or when it becomes too rapid, then with dosing.

Edit: I forgot phosphate

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies, I misunderstood your answer! I have read many things saying corals need so many other elements and also others saying at first there's no need to add anything.
This leads me to another question then. Is there already magnesium and calcium within the water I put in? Do I need to test to confirm this?
The salt comes with everything your corals need. Some mixes have higher concentrations than others. As someone else mentioned though testing is key you cant just add x amount of alk weekly until you measure how much is being used. For anything else i would not consider until tank much more established and lot of coral growing. Maybe aminos or something like that(but not necessary)

Test the salinity of that LFS saltwater even if highly regarded...they screw up also. Make sure it is appropriate for reef tank also some stores sell at 1.021 which is fine for fish but not coral.

OP
OP
AVVITT

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking perhaps I get myself some mag and cal test kits (already on order) and see what my ls parameters are regarding these then see if the levels are adequate for what I'm looking for

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals don't really thrive in the first year. They survive and will grow a little. You have plenty of time to learn about dosing and parameters.

OP
OP
AVVITT

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I think I'm about where I need to be knowledge wise! It's funny how you get information in little bits then learn all the pieces you've put together are from several different jigsaws that don't fit together!
It's only when you get some guys with some good experience you learn which pieces go together and which ones to throw away

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a 50% water change to get nitrates down to 20 and get some coral after. Keep up on weekly 10-20% after that.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.6%
Back