Reef Aquarium Fact #104 Carbon will noticeably clean the water and should be changed

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #104

Carbon will noticeably clean the water and should be changed 3-4 weeks or when you see the water getting dirty again.

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject. ;)

carbon.jpg

Melevsreef.com - Chemical Solutions

Giancarlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion this is true, though I have read an article that mentioned carbon is linked to lateral line erosion with tangs, or whatever that disease is called. I never kept a tang myself but something to consider.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a small dose of carbon in my systems at all times. This is mostly a preventive measure as I have a mixed reef and leathers, SPS and LPS do not play well together. They will do battle at times and the carbon helps keep the toxins in check.

It is also great for removing the yellow tint from the water and keeping it sparkling clear.

Same as with my GFO, I run about half the recommended dosage so I never run into HLLE or RTN problems.

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding to much to quick to a established tank can cause corals to get burned from the water clearing up to fast.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use it, never have, not going to start. I have 2 leathers in my tank with lps and sps and never had any issues. I prefer to keep it as simple as possible. Skimmer, fuge, rocks, water change.

Sent from somewhere using something.

scooterc268

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use it any longer. Aquarium hasn't changed a bit either. But I do have some on hand in case there is an issue with toxins or other crap getting into the water.

I would be safe to assume if the water is yellow, it would be from organics in the water, which my Skimmer takes care of. But between water changes using RO/DI (water) I never had an issue.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon is one of the most noticeable ways to clean the water, in fact. Old tank water virtually always has a yellow tint to it from all the metabilizing going on. Skimmers don't help with this. Water changes will only put a dent in it...sometimes impreceptably so. Carbon will clear it up in a jiffy...most often overnight is enough time. The carbon's activity decreases rapidly after the first day or few days.

The only problems I see with carbon are 1) that it flouts the "nothing good happens fast..." reef tank maxim and 2) most people use it at least as much for what I call its "hopeful"effects as for its obvious effects. ;)

Also, if it's actually necessary for your reef, your tank may be over-stocked.

-Matt

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 76 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%

Back