Reef Aquarium Fact #117 Magnesium is important to help to keep your calcium and alkalinity balanced.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #117

Magnesium is important to help to keep your calcium and alkalinity balanced.

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, and its also the easiest test for me to skip.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use an almost rhyme when trying to relate the balance of Magnesium, Calcium, and Alk to customers at the shop... "Calcium is the BRICK, Alkalinity the mortar, and the Magnesium the one putting it all together."

Not real sure if that is 100% correct chemically speaking, however it worked most of the time with noobies, getting a light bulb to turn on in their head. Once they realized that all 3 had to be maintained in order to be successful, it was MUCH easier.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have never tested my MAG that I can recall. What level do you all like to keep yours?

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, if you can't get calcium or alkalinity were you want it. Check your magnesium levels.

reef_freak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along. I think magnesium is one of the things that gets neglected during regular maintenance and also overlooked when things go astray. honestly in all the years I have been in this hobby, I never paid much attention to it, i also dont test much for other things either unless I see something that looks wrong, certainly not the best quality to have as a reef keeper, but it is just one thing I have never done much. i guess i take the observation testing method. :) But it is always in the back of my mind saying....you will be sorry one day.

I think for most of us that do regular water changes magnesium is replenished but until you test, you just never know.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had no need to dose mag yet but I test once a month. I hate the testing for it with a passion. Lol

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 36 46.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.8%
Back